Hi! It's Stacy and my first forum post ever.

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stacy

Your Hostess
Reaction score
I'm looking forward to meeting you, and talking to you via the internet. If you live around here (Friendswood, TX), I would love to know. Epilepsy is not fun but is definately worth dealing with.

All the Best, Stacy

Hi Stacy
What meds are you on?
Tell us abit about you.
Epilepsy is a rough thing to deal with but, please stay strong, take your meds, get lots of rest and you WILL make it.
If you ever need to talk just yell I am here to listen

Rocking4epilepsy-Vitamin D and Seizures

Hi Stacy,

This is my first email here! I just heard about this page from Brain Talk Communities. I had uncontrolled seizures for many years and have been seizure free without drugs, since 1998. It was a lot of trial and error but can be done. I have articles about seizures on my web page. My big focus these days is on vitamin D and seizures. Most people in this country are thought to be low on vitamin D--the sunshine vitamin.
I'm working on an article about it. Many seizure medications interfere with how the body handles vitamin D which can lead to many problems including lowering the seizure threshold. I have osteoporosis now, in part attributed to taking dilantin in the 1980s. Below is a little information that turned up in my searching which you may find of interest. How are you doing now? I see that you are in Texas. Which part? I lived in New Mexico a few years ago. Take care.
Zoe

1: Ann Pharmacother. 2004 Jun;38(6):1002-5. Epub 2004 Apr 14.

Loss of seizure control due to anticonvulsant-induced hypocalcemia.

Ali FE, Al-Bustan MA, Al-Busairi WA, Al-Mulla FA.

Medical Rehabilitation Center, PO Box 1240, Surra 45713, Kuwait.
fawzi@kma.org.kw

OBJECTIVE: To report a case of loss of seizure control due to hypocalcemia
resulting from long-term treatment with phenytoin and phenobarbital. CASE
SUMMARY: A 32-year-old mentally retarded man presented with a 12-month history
of loss of seizure control, after being seizure-free for 5 years on a fixed
regimen of phenobarbital and phenytoin. He had been institutionalized at the age
of 10 years and had received anticonvulsant drugs since he was diagnosed with
tonic-clonic epilepsy 20 years ago. On investigation, serum concentrations of
the anticonvulsant drugs were within the therapeutic range, indicating adequate
medication dosages. Serum biochemistry was consistent with vitamin D deficiency:
hypocalcemia, reduced 25-hydroxyvitamin D, increased alkaline phosphatase, and
increased parathormone. Seizure control was regained after serum calcium had
been normalized with administration of vitamin D and calcium. DISCUSSION:
Antiepileptic drugs (AEDs) cause vitamin D deficiency through induction of
hepatic microsomal enzymes that metabolize vitamin D. Institutionalized subjects
are more vulnerable because of the added factors of multidrug therapy, poor
diet, reduced exposure to sunlight, and physical inactivity. The resulting
hypocalcemia can cause reactive seizures, thus offsetting the anticonvulsant
action of the drugs. An objective causality assessment revealed that the adverse
reactions of both phenobarbital and phenytoin were probable. CONCLUSIONS:
Hypocalcemic seizures are uncommon and underdiagnosed complications of long-term
therapy with AEDs. Loss of seizure control in a patient stabilized on AEDs is an
indication to check the patient's calcium status. Proper treatment of this
complication is vitamin D and calcium supplementation. Prophylactic
supplementation with vitamin D is necessary in institutionalized patients
treated with AEDs.

Publication Types:
Case Reports

PMID: 15084684 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...ve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=15084684

HI guys! I am about to fall asleep, I'm so tired. I'm currently on Dilantin. I'm one of those people that usually over schedules herself. I'm pretty active. & I didn't know that Vitamin D was a problem. I always thought it was Vitamin B. I REALLY want to be seizure free and drug free. I guess you never know 'till you try... something that works. I'm still trying to figure out how to do all this stuff, so if you have any advice, let me know.

Love, Stace.

B complex has worked wonders for some people. It's one of the vitamins that I take for seizure control. Glad that you and your husband started this forum.

Hi Stacy, nice to meet you.
I read "your story" very, very similar to mine. Anyways, I also read that you were put on a diet at one point, do you still do that diet? Do you really think that it helps?
I would love to learn more about the EEG neuro feedback as well. ( Tried just about everything else there is out there. )
Look forward to gettting to know everybody here.
Elisa

Hi Jen,

I'm sorry to hear about Danny Jr., and I'm sorry it took me so long to return your email. I've been going through a lot lately, as my Grandfather passed away on April 16, at 12:56 PM. I'm the executor of the will and my family is full of people with no conscience. That's about as far as I can go without being mean.

The meds I'm on are Dilantin, and a few vitamins and minerals that have been prescribed by my Dr. As far as I go, I'm 6'2" tall, blonde hair, blue eyes, and probably the most beautiful girl you've ever seen. Now that I've painted an enchanting picture of myself, I can give you a better perspective. I AM 6'2" tall, and I am married (9 years today) to Bernie, who is the best husband a girl could ask for. I have recently found my "Angry Voice" and use it on occasion. I'm more passive than agressive though. I like to use words to work things out, and have an entire dictionary of synonyms for people that lie to me. I frequently write in my journal, and am fairly popular with friends and neighbors, who have described me as both "sweet and nice". Pardon me, I have something caught in my throat. I have two very smart little boys. One is 5 and the other is 18 months. They are so great together. The 5 year old was there when the little one was born, so they have a special bond.

Love, Stace

Stacy said:
... and I am married (9 years today) to Bernie, who is the best husband a girl could ask for.

Awww... Thanks sweetheart. Happy anniversary. :)

Stacy said:
I have recently found my "Angry Voice" and use it on occasion.

I can vouch for that! I think it's a good thing too!

Howdy!

A belated happy anniversary!

Can't think of a better couple for message boards than BS! :twisted:

howdydave said:
Can't think of a better couple for message boards than BS!

:lol: Clever one you are...

saying HI!

Hi Stacy, I am new to this board, but I am very impressed with Bernard's skill on this board. Happy anniversary - I hope you 2 had a great day!

Hello

hi guys. It's Stacy. I spent the day with my Dad and brother at my grandfather's house. I now feel like things are crawling all over me. Must go bathe. Bernie is sitll feeling rotten. Thanks for the comments on the forum.

Stace

Thanks ellgee. I'm feeling much better now BTW Stacy.

:agree: :banana: :elephant: :yippee:

:lol: Belated Happy Anniversary.Congratulations.It was mine & Jon's 10th Anniversary on 12th of August last year.A couple of years ago my Wedding and engagement ring was taken off my finger and never seen again.So for my birthday I was suprised with a new one.My birthday was on the 27/12/05.I was so happy to see it.Jon & I have been together 13 years.When we met I was going through a divorce and custody battle for my daughters Hazel & Kim,then aged 3 & 2.They are now 16 and 14.Jon gave me the support and courage to fight for the girls as I was ready to give up as I had been humiliated in court for being a bad mum due to having severe Epilepsy.Even though I had been beaten black & blue by the ex & so had Kim aged 1.Take care luv Juliexx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom