Hi, Lisa and Ursa here...

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I was Googling info on Keppra, since that's what Ursa-dog is on, and was happy to read here that one of Keppra's side-effect is skin irritation and itching. We've done so many food eliminations for Ursa's chronic itching, but to no avail.

When I was a pre-teen and teenager, I had seizures and was put on Phenobarbital and hated the side-effects, have they made any improvements to Pheno since the '60s and '70s, or are the side-effects still the lousy same? Ursa's neuro-vet wants her on Pheno and I don't.

Thanks,
Lisa

Hi Lisa and Ursa, welcome to CWE!

As far as side effects goes, everyone's different, so Ursa might do fine on the Pheno even if you didn't. Some people do fine on Keppra, some folks can't stand it. Unfortunately, it really is trial and error.

If you haven't already, you might want to check out this site: http://dogtorj.com/
Among other things it discusses dietary approaches to controlling canine epilepsy.

Cheers!
Nakamova

Hi Lisa and Ursa,

Welcome to CWE! As Nakamova mentioned everyone is different I was put on Keppra for my absence and complex partial seizures and the drug gave me a very hot temper along with increasing my seizures. I was on it for about 1 month and then I started vimpat along with CBD (medical marijuana) and that made a big difference for the better.
I also have taken pheno and for over 30 yrs. I've been on mysoline which is a little stronger than pheno and it has worked great. Wishing the both of you only the best and May God Bless You Both!

Sue

Thanks for your replies!

Yes, everyone is different and does different on the same meds, I remember feeling so lousy on Pheno and wouldn't want that for my dog. Thankfully, we have a wonder holistic vet that has Ursa on homeopathics as well - some of which help her, others don't, here too, it's trial and error. With our last vet visit we discussed Canis for Ursa and we may need to revisit this on coming Wednesday's appointment.

And yes, I've emailed with doctorj from another dog board, his approach is very similar to Ursa's vet's diet thoughts (Ursa is RAW and homemade fed, plus a bunch of supplements). Thanks for the info :). I'm convinced that Ursa's excessive itching is from Keppra and we may need to try something else. Dogs can't talk and tell us how they feel, but we can, and I appreciate your input!

As for me, I haven't had a seizure in about 25 years, the last one was from a drug interaction.

And thanks Sue, for God's blessings, we all need those :adore:

Back
Top Bottom