Hi newbie here 😘

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Kazm63

New
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I've had epilepsy for 28 years I think! It's hard to say as here I am all that time later starting investigations again because they're not sure. I do have some knowledge though. I'm currently coming off Keppra from 1500mg twice daily and going up to possibly 300mg Zonisimide I also take 350mg lamotrogine twice daily and 25mg Topirimate twice daily but I think that is more for migraine prevention. I've had a right temporal lobectomy because 18 years ago my neurologist thought my seizures were beginning in my right temporal lobe and spreading from there, hence the removal. My biggest problem now is my short term memory!! Does anyone else have really bad memory problems?

Hi Kazm63,

Welcome to CWE! Just like you I had a right temporal lobectomy and my short term memory hasn't been the best but one thing that has helped me a lot that my neurosurgeon told me to do is word search puzzles, along with math problems. I have also been doing brain teasers which can be found on line (just type in brain teasers). Doing all of these things along with keeping active has helped me a lot and my short term memory is much better. I wish you the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue

Hey Kazm63, welcome to CWE!

I seem to have lucked out -- no real memory problems yet (knock on wood), but memory problems are relatively common for folks with epilepsy. We just had a new thread posted on the topic: http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f23/memory-loss-27747/ and there are quite a few in the archives.

Good luck with the med adjustments -- I know that can be tricky.

I have horrible short term and long term memory. Someone might tell me something that happened last week and I totally forget it. A few years ago things started coming on tv about President Reagan. I asked my husband if he was dead and he told me he was, we even watched his funeral on tv. Something might have come on a few days or a week later about him and I'd ask my husband if he was dead. This went on for a few years before it finally stuck in my head that he was dead.

Sometimes after a seizure I might forget things that happened that day to a week or two before the seizure too.

Hi Kazm

Welcome to the group.

I had left temporal lobe surgery in 2011, my Neuropsysch assessments I had both pre surgery and after surgery showed my memory is good and in normal range.

But sometimes I have trouble remembering things, words, names etc. It happens more when I am stressed, tired or put on the spot. My long term memory is actually better then my short term memory. I can remember stuff that happened ages ago and am good with tv trivia but ask me what happened a couple of days ago - no idea lol.

Back
Top Bottom