Hi!!

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cindy

New
Reaction score
I'm new to this forum. I am not Epileptic. I have Depression and I am implanted with the VNS (Vagus Nerve Stimulator). I'm trying to get the device removed, which I found out, is not an easy thing.
Cindy

Hi Cindy, welcome to the forum. :hello:

You should be able to get the generator removed, but surgeons don't like to remove the leads from the Vagus nerve because of the risk for nerve damage. There is scar tissue there from the implantation surgery which complicates the removal.

Hi

Merged post:
Hi I'm new to this forum. I am not epileptic. I do have Depression and I did have the Vagus Nerve Stimulator from Cyberonics implanted and am now trying to get the non-working device out. Does anyone have any suggestions?? Is there anyone else that has had to have this removed???
Cindy

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I know. Cyberonics wants to put a new device in because the original surgeon put it in with the leads on the wrong part of the nerve and they did not tack down the generator. It was implanted in the side not in the chest and is moving throughout my body. My rep from VNS is just wanting to sell me a new one and they wanted to take the old one out and put a new one in.

Welcome Cindy.

I have several members on my site who have had the VNS removed. Mine will be removed in the near future.

Is it painful for you to have the generator migrating? Mine was torn loose from my chest by EMT's placing a cervical collar on after an accident. It took 3 months to get them to stitch it back down and it hasn't moved since. I also had the generator placed it where I wanted it. The original site caused a lot of irritation with my clothing, and shoulder use.

Yes, it is very painful right now. It feels like it is taking all of the insides that it is wrapped around and trying to get out. The machine is on my side and not in my chest. You can see it and it flips around all the time. Very uncomfortable. There is a doctor willing to take it out, but they will only do it if I get another one put in. The other option is for me to pay out of pocket another surgeon to take it out. I just can't afford it.
Is yours working alright for you???

No, I had mine shut off about 3 years ago because of a particularly nasty side effect. My left arm, hand and fingers would have shooting pain and go numb every time it fired.

Any benifit I recieved was minimal.

I have since been diagnosed with RA and I need several MRI's. The VNS stands in my way for corrective surgery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom