Hi

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dinger57

New
Reaction score
I was born in Gettysburg, PA. I am now 52 yrs old. I have had epilepsy since I was 2 years old. It was caused be a high fever, which was my first seizure until I was about 11 years old. Once they started at that age they didn't stop, so I was put on meds to control it and I have been on them ever since. I tried about ever med out there but still had seizures. After awhile my seizures got worse and were coming on me faster and they were unable to control. That was about 5 years ago and I was so scared that they would even get worse. That's when my doctor that is a Neurologist and Epileptologist ask me if I would have a surgery that could stop my seizures. I said YES because I wanted to be seizure free. It took about two years of tests to make sure that I was a candidate to have the brain surgery. They tested me when I had seizures to make sure exactly were they were coming from. They were coming from my left temporal lobe and I was able to have the surgery. I have been seizure free since {that was back in June 2006 of last year} and I am a changed person, for the better. I am now only on one med and it's very possible that I can stop taking it in a few years. My doctor recommended that I stay on them for five years. I haven driven for the last three yours. But now I just started to drive again and it is scary. I drive real slow and with both hands. I dont drive every day yet. I just what to take my time before I start driving more. I would refer my doctor highly to others with epilepsy. He is one of the finest and best doctors that I ever had. I am here to help others with epilepsy. I feel we need each other to lean on when we are down or having a bad day. I wish you all the best.

Last edited by a moderator:
What a great positive story dinger.
Where is your doctor located? Others searching for another opinion might be interested.
It is so exciting that you get to drive. My daughter is old enough now, but can't until she is seizure free for six months. I think as her parent I am going to make it a year. Scares me to death, thinking about an accident. Would much rather picture her in a beautiful city with a great metro, and save the money for a taxi once in a while.

Glad you joined us and told your story. I am sure it will be an inspiration to many. We have a few here dealing with the surgical process.

Hello Dinger57!....

Welcome to the best place on earth! So glad that worked out for you...it's always good to hear something positive happening for a soul around here!
:tup:

Good luck with the future!

Oh-oh found me! LOL Hey there buddy! Glad you found CWE. This site is awesome! Nicest bunch of folks and even the bossman is tolerable! (Did I say that right, Mr.B?)

Look around Dinger, so much information it will make your head spin!

Doctors

I had 2 doctors. One was a Neurologist/Epileptologist the other was a surgen. Both were from York, PA. They are great doctors.

Hi dinger57, welcome to the forum. :hello:

It's awesome that you had such success with your surgery and seizure control (and that you rate your doctors so highly). Most folks who find their way to these forums are doing so because they did not find one or more of those things (good docs, seizure control, etc.).

Yeah!!! I'm so happy that you're surgery was successful and that you had a great doctor. A good doctor makes all the difference in the world. You had epilepsy for quite a long time and it's nice that you'll be availble to help others.

:hello: Dinger!

I received your PM! Glad to have you here!
And welcome to the CWE!

;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom