I'm doing an Epilepsy presentation!

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

skyfire322

Stalwart
Reaction score
With all of the seizure activity I've been going through lately at work, the higher ups have decided to do a class on epilepsy. Warning signs, how to help someone with a seizure, and also the mental toll it takes on people.

Guess who's doing the presentation? This guy. :woot:

Good luck! Please let them know that despite what they might think or hear, not all E can be controlled; even when the patient is compliant with their meds. And the mental toll is huge (we don't just feel sorry for ourselves) and so is the physical toll-depending on the severity of the seizure. Thanks.

Way to go and good luck!!!!

I don't know what type of seizures you have but when people generally hear the word 'seizure' they relate it to someone who is flopping uncontrollably on the ground. Let them know it could be a staring spell, talking but not making sense or whatever it is that you during yours. You can't believe (or you might) how many people are completely confused when I tell them what type of seizures I have, they don't know there is more than one type.

This is great that you are doing this!!!!!

Defiantly let us know how it goes.

I agree Valerie!

Since I have so many different types of seizures, they wanted me to write down a plan of action for it. I kind of geeked out (two pages worth, lol) so I have to simplify it a little bit.

I've always wanted to do a presentation or a documentary on epilepsy, because I truly believe it's the most complex disorder in the human body. It is a very intriguing disorder to study, and the scientific/medical community are still just scratching the surface.

I agree Valerie!

Since I have so many different types of seizures, they wanted me to write down a plan of action for it. I kind of geeked out (two pages worth, lol) so I have to simplify it a little bit.

Try not to make it too long. Some people tend to get bored and will stop paying attention if they have to sit for awhile and listen to someone talk. I know it's going to be hard to do that though.

Again - Good Luck!

WOW, that is so cool. I wish i could see/read it. I am fascinated with E and keep finding that we don't know that much about seizures as they have many causes and everyone is so different.

If you can, make it interesting with something that just makes it pop. I learned that in my communications class but I don't quite know how to do that for an E presentation lol! Although I'm really interested in seeing what you can come up with! I've been reading through these threads and reading on my own to find out more about E and what different types of seizures everyone has and how many seizures are actually out there. It's crazy how many different types there are.

Good for you! You're so right, with so many different types of seizures and knowing the plan of action to take for them is good for others to know.

I typed up a "cliff notes" version of the plan of action, which includes three warning signs, and three things to do in the event of one. In my presentation however, I want to delve deeper, explaining how it takes a physical and mental toll not only on the person who has E, but the people who are surrounded by it. I want to make this the meat of my presentation because it's one thing to read it on paper, but it's completely different to actually be in the thick of it.

I love public speaking, and teaching people.

free-poster-opfiskgcrz-KNOWLEDGE-IS-POWER!.jpg

Cool! You sound confident, Skyfire.. good luck with your presentation! :)

Back
Top Bottom