I'm feeling so defeated and just need to blow off some steam.

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

CathyAnn31

Big Smile
Reaction score
We adopted a kitten in June and got her spayed in July at a low cost vet clinic. They did a shoddy job so I took her back In August. They looked her over and said the slight discharge was from her internal sutures and gave her some antibiotics, said she'd be better in a few weeks. Well guess what? I waited for it to get better and no improvement at all. I got tired of it and got her to a proper vet 3 weeks ago. They had to open her up and remove a lot of scar tissue and repair a small hernia that was caused by the bad spay. This dr, unlike the first one, used actual stitches to close her back up, instead of the surgical glue. Over the weekend she started to swell and I took her back to the dr on Monday. They drained 4.5 cc of fluid and told me to keep her less active. During all this, our other kitten was put away so they couldnt get to each other.

Fast forward to this morning. A door was left open, the other kitten wanted to play and got a little rough- turns out she pulled A few stitches. Ouch! So needless to say, I have to stress her out with another car trip and vet visit during a heavy rain storm today. Hopefully they won't have to give her anesthesia again to add new stitches. I sure feel like a bad pet owner. :(. She's my baby and I feel horrible. I'm sure this new vet loves me. I'm making him rich! And we are pretty broke after all of this.

So much for the discount spay/neuter place. This whole thing has cost me twice as much as a regular vet doing her surgery.

What more can go wrong. Wait, don't answer that.

Thanks for letting me whine.

CathyAnn31

Sorry CathyAnn31 but I already the title of worst pet owner ever. Things will get better and you will see you have done the right thing, not like me.

How long stitches been in may not need restitch.usually don't stitch if over 5 hours may just be glue job..I hope you get money back first vet should pay second vets feel

No, CathyAnn, you're not a bad pet owner. Things will get better. I agree with seagull, you should get your $$ back.

Aww, hope the kitten recovers quickly.

I'll see about getting my money back, but I'm not very hopeful. It's a place with low cost spay and vaccinations at several locations around town. A long line out front to get in, they take the cat into the back room and I go home until it's pickup time. If I got anything back it wouldn't be much at all. The place is doing $15 spays this month. Wouldn't come close to the $200 I've spent so far on fixing their crappy spay job with a good, trusted dr.

Who knows how much today will cost, I went to the discount place first because I couldn't afford anywhere else. :mad:

On a side note, the discount place had tons good reviews and I doubt this happens often. At least I hope it doesn't.

hey cathyann

Sorry to hear about your kitten....i hope shes better! I know how it feels when you think your a bad owner, i think many of us feel that way about our pets at some time because you feel so helpless. You want your pet to tell you how they feel, its heartbreaking but you did the right thing. our pets are our best friends..xxxxxx

Thanks everyone :)

Her appt was at 2 pm, they looked at her and saw that she was starting to split open and was beginning to get infected. They took her back to surgery right away. He said it appeared the internal stitches were still intact so it shouldn't be too bad. I hate that they have to use anesthesia again but I don't want her to feel any pain. She's already stressed enough. I'm supposed to call at 4 to see if she's Ok and can come home. Fingers crossed!!

3rd time's a charm I hear.

I feel so defeated. Can I go have a stiff drink now? :p

Stiff drink approved. I'll treat! :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

So sorry to hear about your kitten, CathyAnn. I'll approve two stiff drinks if that helps:hugs:

You could give first vet hint if he wants keep good name of vet then pay up for second vet

My dad is a veterinarian and always hate this type pf story. A vet has a obligation to do a good job I regardless of the fee. You might want to report him to the American Veternairy Association or your state licensing board.

You're NOT a bad pet owner!!!!!

There's people out there who would have just gotten her spayed then ignored all the other problems. You're not doing that!

My cat started bleeding like crazy from his foot once and I was scared to death because I had no clue what was going on. I called the vet and they said I'd have to pay extra to take him in because it wasn't during normal office hours. Turned out he had 3 in grown toe nails and had pulled one out because it hurt so bad. I felt so bad because I never realized it. He had to have surgery on his foot to take care of all the toe nails. You can't believe how much I paid for this but the vet said it was a really good thing that I brought him in and didn't wait till Monday.

If you need help getting your money back I'll come over and give you a hand, I'm pretty good at it. I think every time I've complained about something that I didn't feel I shouldn't have paid for I'm pretty sure I got my money back. I think they just get sick of me calling or coming in b****ing to them about it. One important thing is to ask to talk to the owner or manager (or the most important person) of the vets office about what happened. Not the person who answers the phone or works at the front desk that tells you "I'll let them know and we'll get back to you." You'll never hear from them. Keep calling or going in if you have to until you hear talk to that important person.

When you said getting her spade first thing I thought good pet owner....promise no remove claws as I gather it American thing

Back
Top Bottom