I'm new

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have complex partial seizures and experience a secondary generalized seizure every year or two.
I have become interested in alternative and contemporary therapies for epilepsy and have researched neurofeedback in some detail. I have a pretty strong background in the natural sciences- BA in physics and BS in biology (concentration in neurobiology) I have recently purchased bioneurofeedback equipment from J&J Electonics, and a new gaming computer (the computer should be delivered in a few days) In addition to the software that came with the J & J equipment, I am getting the "Bioexplorer" software which runs some really cool neurofeedback games. I'm very excited about getting started. I plan to become certified in neurofeedback in the future.

I checked out the info on alternative and complementary treatments on this site and found it valuable. I was not aware how effective the low glycemic diet of the "Sugar Busters" variety could be in preventing seizures. I was thinking that perhaps the Atkins and ketogenic diets work specifically because they are also low glycemic diets, albeit of an unhealthy sort. I was thinking that a combination of neurofeedback, neurobehavioral therapies, low glycemic diet and nutrition could be extremely effective.
I know my cognitive ability has been impaired by AEDs. I hope I can eventually get off of medication. I guess we all would.

Warmest regards,

Ron

Welcome Ron - Really glad that you decided to join us.

I think... that your thinking... is a really smart way to approach this change. Though not really sure how you plan on doing neurofeedback on yourself, but more power to you if you have figured out a way. I know I was looking at a site today, and they do allow home practice, but only after quite a few sessions with a trained therapist.

Let us know how you do on the LGIT. I use a variety of nutritional plans for my daughter. Mainly a gluten free, casein free, soy free, and corn free plan (hate to call it a diet... that is so negative). I am also watching to see if free glutamates (MSG), are what my daughter is reacting to. Personally I think she has had seizures due to her medication, along with a host of other difficulties.

Good luck with your alternative choices.

:hello: Ron

Welcome to CWE and hope you can
find some answers and resources through
here as well as getting to meet other people!

Hi Ron, welcome to the forum. :hello:

... I have recently purchased bioneurofeedback equipment ...I plan to become certified in neurofeedback in the future.

Now that's jumping in feet first! :) You might give Kurt a shout when you are ready for training/certification. ;)

... I was thinking that a combination of neurofeedback, neurobehavioral therapies, low glycemic diet and nutrition could be extremely effective.

Before she delivered our first child, diet and neurofeedback was enough to eliminate all seizures for my wife for 4 years. We are working back to that holy grail right now, but these things are not enough to control her seizures currently - she needs Dilantin to push her seizure threshold to 11.

Hi Ron,

Welcome aboard. It sounds like we have another useful brain on the site. I'll be interested in your 'finds' as per the alternative treatments.

Any questions or polls you need answered, just post away on this site - there's a great bunch of minds and opinions on here to satisfy any survey.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom