Insomnia and epilepsy

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Hi everyone since ive been having awful insomia for nearly a week its all started not sleeping and being able to switch off and then feeling exhaused all day then last night same happened except i woke up at 3:45am this morning wide awake and all hyper i cleaned and scrubbed house all day didnt feel tired once went to work at 2pm until 4pm still not tired then about 7pm started feeling tired got my step girl ready for bed its now 21:45 and im wide awake again.
Has anyone else ever had insomia and how have they dealt with it as my partner is worrying that i will start having seizures.

Hi everyone since ive been having awful insomia for nearly a week its all started not sleeping and being able to switch off and then feeling exhaused all day then last night same happened except i woke up at 3:45am this morning wide awake and all hyper i cleaned and scrubbed house all day didnt feel tired once went to work at 2pm until 4pm still not tired then about 7pm started feeling tired got my step girl ready for bed its now 21:45 and im wide awake again.
Has anyone else ever had insomia and how have they dealt with it as my partner is worrying that i will start having seizures.
I have problems sleeping. I eat some cannabis edibles when I can't sleep at all.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Did you recently start taking a new or higher dosage of an AED? I never had insomnia until I first started Keppra. My doctor prescribed a sleep aid, which I took a few times. Once my body adjusted to the Keppra, the insomnia went away for me.

Lamictal gave me insomnia/restless sleep for the first few months I was on it; eventually that side effect went away. Meds can definitely mess with sleep. If you rule out meds, can you identify any other factors that might be messing with your sleep? Stress? Diet or metabolism issues?

As a general rule:
• Aim to keep a consistent wake-up time and bedtime. Consider trying progressive relaxation when you're ready to go to sleep. (Progressive relaxation consists of slowly tensing and relaxing your muscles, starting with your feet and ending with your neck and face. Accompanying breathing should be slow, from the diaphragm.)

• Don't watch TV in bed. Don't look at blue screen devices (phones, laptops, etc.) within two hours of going to bed.

• If possible, don't nap during the day.

• If you can't fall asleep or get back to sleep within 20 to 30 minutes, go ahead and leave your bedroom and go to another room. Then do some low-key activities like listening to quiet music, meditating, stretching, etc.

Hi Laura,

I had this problem for awhile then my Dr. put me on folic acid and it helped me out but I know it can sometimes trigger seizures for some people. Be sure to cut back on the carbs, caffine and starch foods. Also if you are having a hard time go on You Tube and listen to the sound of ocean waves or serotonin music it's amazing how much that will calm the nerves down and help you relax to get to sleep. It's all do the frequency the music and ocean waves are in . I wish you the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue

My meds havent changed i hate coffee but drink energy drinks i know not a good idea but i dont drink them after 4pm so im not wide awake.
Dr wont give me anything i tried a lavender spray on my pillow turns out im allergic woke up with rash all over neck and face :roflmao: ive been so wide awake my house is like a showhome ive got a part time job 2 hrs a day in a cafe even my boss says place is sparkling.

See what happens if you cut out an energy drink or two....

I always try to sleep & wake up at the same time. Even on the weekend, I avoid staying up unless I need to.

We usually stay up until 9pm and then watch tv until about 10pm as i like my box sets then i turn everything off as i cant sleep with noise and i usually wake up with my partner at half 6 for his work and i sometimes fall back asleep until about 9ish.
My partner gives me my meds before he leaves to make sure ive took them.

I have insomnia from time to time, I've been prescribed valium tablets to help me get to sleep. However my doctor doesn't believe that my insomnia is related to my epilepsy but rather my PTSD as I can't sleep if I get worked up

Hello, guys. Sorry, for reviving such an old thread. I need your help. My mother died in an accident 4 months ago, and I've not slept well since then. I fall asleep around 4 am and sleep until 8 am because I gotta go to work. Life is terrible, in short.

I'd suggest using a sleeping aid for a night or two. But things probably won't get fully back on track until you get through the grieving process.

Hey there. Sorry to hear about your loss. It's totally understandable that you're struggling to sleep after such a traumatic event. Have you tried any natural remedies, like drinking chamomile tea or using lavender oil? I also use dodow for falling asleep fast. It helps me calm down my breath, and I fall asleep eventually. You could check out some dodow reviews online. And don't hesitate to talk to a therapist or counselor about your grief and insomnia. It's important to take care of yourself during this difficult time. Hang in there, man.

So worry to hear about your mother. No way around that kind of grieving.

I take a supplement called “supersnooze” from time to time -- it contains a lot of natural sleep aids: magnesium, melatonin, passionflower, hops, chamomile and valerian.

I had trouble sleeping awhile back.

This may sound a little goofy but I saw this on a TV show and one of the characters had trouble sleeping. They'd counted to 100: 1, 2, 3, 4---5, 6, 7, 8--- 9, 10, 11, 12--- etc... Do this until you hit 100 then start all over again. You don't actually say the numbers out loud just 'think them in hour head', if that made sense. It took me a few times of doing but I'd fall asleep while I'm thinking the numbers and not even realize it.

I listen to a soft noise too. Some people like things like an ocean wave or storm. See if there's something that you might like. I have a noise machine but I think you can down load one on your phone.

I still do this now and it works.

Ugh…up again 😞
Made it three weeks on the brand name Lamictal before having a mild nocturnal seizure. Slept a lot for about three days but was in a good mood at least. Last three days I’ve only been sleeping about 4 hours each night. Net a good pattern for SZ control. Feeling like a ticking time bomb
My rant I need to get out is regarding my “fishing “ club. It has completely turned into a bar. They didn’t stock the pond this spring for reasons I need to look into.
It’s a safe place for me to fly fish from shore. It’s my sanctuary and now I don’t even want to go.
The anger I felt had nothing to do with catching fish. I got overly frustrated with the members sitting on the porch drinking and laughing. I should be up there. they are friends of mine but all I could feel was resentment. I want to write all sorts of nasty comments on the club chat room and send a pity me email to the president. I’ve controlled myself knowing it won’t help.
I only get so many days that I have the energy, time and good weather.
Rant over

Last edited:
when I went through this issue I started taking the herbal melatonin as it was the safest item. My doctor suggested to try it because it would boost the melatonin in the body and help fall to sleep easier. He also suggested to keep track of what was being eaten at night, what was being drank (no caffeine after a certain time) and things like that. The melatonin did work for me as I actually did get my sleep back to a 7 hour night once again. I actually reached the point where the herbal was no longer needed to be taken. That took some time but it was quite nice to no longer need the herbal after awhile. The great thing about melatonin is I did find it on Amazon at a reasonable price. I wish you well.

i am up late again go at least we know we have a club, i guess next step is sweat shirts

Back
Top Bottom