[Research] Is there really a link?

Have you had past ECT treatment only to now have a permanent condition of epilepsy

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Bridgette

New
Reaction score
n April 2014 diagnosed with epilepsy. I have had extensive history/past of short-term and long-term ect treatment. I had been 100% ECT free for over 2 yrs, before being diagnosed with epilepsy. The Dr.'s could not link an absolute cause for my epilepsy? ECT was not 100% ruled out! I seriously think that there is more to this link of ect and epilepsy - despite the bulk of literature saying that there isn't a link. All it takes is a group of people experiencing the same. I'm on anti-seizure medications now for the rest of my life! I have no history of seizures/epilepsy in my family, no alcohol or drug abuse. Absolutely nothing linking this condition - other than ECT.
Please let me know what you think

Hello and welcome! I never had ect but know that you are not alone in having no family history, no other risks, and no identified cause. I don't know the cause of mine. Many of us don't. It is quite frustrating but also common.

That said if I had ect I would, right or wrong, suspect it as the cause. Just knowing that my brains electrical systems were involved would make me think that so I understand your poll.

As far as the research goes, I've been told that everyone has a seizure threshold so maybe all or most of those in the research had a typical threshold and yours was a little lower.

Regardless, you are in good company here and with a good doctor and good support things can and will get better.

Pubmed lists one study done on the subject:
RESULTS:

No report of spontaneous seizure was found in the study group of 619 patients. One patient who was excluded from the study group due to suspected neurosyphilis developed recurrent seizures 1 month after ECT. Two patients in the control group had single occasion convulsion with no further recurrence even with continuation of similar drugs.

CONCLUSIONS:

Electroconvulsive therapy has not been found to cause epilepsy. Patient's underlying organic condition may influence development of seizures.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23291703

Like giveasmile, I have no family history of epilepsy, never had meningitis, encephalitis, no head injury and never had ECT. My seizures started out of the blue when I was 22 years of age. However, I did suffer from bouts of extreme depression and my neuropsychiatrist tried many anti-depressants, to no avail. I was even suicidal at a time and my psych said that maybe a seizure would help, suggesting that seizures (like ECT does) help alleviate depression. And yes, sometimes a TC did help me feel better emotionally afterwards.

Back
Top Bottom