Just my two cents.....

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Let's face it, the world as we know, it is not fond of seizure related illnesses. Let's also face the fact that with seizures comes many issues for those of us far beyond what others think. I've been on this site for a while now and have enjoyed and appreciated all of the information that I have learned.

Yet, there is some information that I really wondered how a support network could put up. Namely, both the Mad Magazine ad and if there was a stigma attached to having epilepsy. The Mad ad was sickening and very hurtful (It made me break down in tears). Yet, if I never saw it and heard about it, I wouldn't go near it. Is there a stigma...probably. Yet, who cares?!?

The only person that you need to worry about is yourself. Your beautiful, wonderful self. Yes, you might have been given an affliction that, some days, stinks. It can take even the toughest person down. Yet, we all deal with the issues daily. Our bodies/minds are stronger and than anyone else because we are AWARE of our bodily reactions to foods, weather, etc.

When we come to a point that we accept what we have (I mean in the mind--we all have to accept the physicality of it) we take away the scariness of the seizure and give it NO POWER.

That is what I hope for all of you. So, I hope that I didn't offend anyone and if I did I'm sorry, but I would rather see us focus on what we can do for ourselves as opposed to what others do to us. They are the ignorant ones.---LMT

Hi LMT! No offense taken..at least by me. I agree with you to a point. It's important that we not focus on the negatives..because heaven knows there are enough of those that if we just focused on those, we'd never be able to laugh. I think of bringin the MAD magazine stuff to the groups attention as more of a PSA. You know, letting us know who's being stupid and passing on ignorance in the media so that we know what the current message is that's being spread, and we can battle it the way we wish...from refusing to give them our money to writing letters to their editors. Perhaps we need a war room where we can discuss who's being an idiot and how we should respond. :) After all, they'll only keep picking on those who don't speak up...whether it's those with epilepsy or some other illness or difference. :) But that's just my 2 cents. :)

I didn't even bother looking at the Mad thing. I didn't think it worth my time. :noevil:I feel the same as you. I was raised not to feel sorry for myself and now my mother's finds me to be stronger then her, but my strength is something I learned from her. I had surgery (the last test be for brain surgery but not a lobectomy) at 18 and was back at school the first day after 2 weeks at home. They told me 6-8 weeks, but Im a little hard headed. I love life!

I don't bother investing my time or $$ in those type of magazines either since I've had plenty of other battles to contend with. I try to look at the good, positive aspects of my life.

"Never bend your head, always hold it high. Look the world in the face."
~ Helen Keller~

LMT

Your post reminds me of another post I have out here somewhere. The point of it is life is 10% of what happens to us and 90% of how we react to it. We have the choice that you made to focus on the positive and what you can control. That is a great attitude.

Thumbs Up!

Back
Top Bottom