Lamictal, Anyone?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Given that Stephen Johnsons can eventually end in death, I would say someone else's lack of side effects doesn't really come into the equation.

Stevens Johnson Syndrome is obviously extremely serious -- that's why Lamictal is titrated up so slowly, and patients are instructed to watch out for any hypersensitivity reactions during the process. Many folks who present with SJS also have serious allergic reactions to other medications, perhaps as a result of an underlying immune issue. Overall, Stevens-Johnson Syndrome occurs in approx. 6.1 cases per million annually. It's a very serious side effect with a low rate of occurrence.

It's also possible to respond with an allergic reaction to the med without it being SJS. In these cases, studies have shown that it's still possible to reintroduce Lamictal, but with a much slower ramp-up.

I agree that being alert to these potential reactions is crucial when starting Lamictal, particularly if there's a prior history of medication sensitivity. This doesn't mean that people with epilepsy should avoid it altogether, nor does it mean that folks who have positive experiences with Lamictal shouldn't offer up their perspectives as well.

I got up to the pimples. The worst of the side effects for me were the burning eyes. Even after I quit taking the Lamictal I still had a fever, swollen lymph nodes, burning eyes, and flu symptoms for two weeks. It lingered for a long time...

I agree, Nak! I was disappointed because even though it made me sick, I was also experiencing less seizures.

I took Lamictal for my myoclonic seizures and it just made it worse. Now my Lawyer takes it and it works great for her.

I'm on Lamictal now and need to switch (see my post in the foyer). I had what the neurologist has told me is a know side effect, but I don't see it mentioned by many people online - irritability. Sounds pretty mild, but as my dose has increased it has gotten worse and worse. I fly off the hand at the littlest things. Get upset very easily. Resent my husband, yell at my kids. I kept thinking it was stress, lack of sleep, my inability to control it. When I finally voiced my concerns to my husband, he said that my personality had changed since I went on Lamictal. So I mentioned it to the neuro. I work with someone who is on it and has had no issues. For most people it seems to be a wonder drug. I'd say it is worth trying and be on the look-out. Some of the less significant issues I had were really dry (to the point of damaged) hair, constantly dry, itchy skin (no rash) and some memory issues.

I was put on Tegretol when I first was diagnosed with a seizure disorder 4 years ago, but it lowered my WBCs so they switched me to Lamictal about a year later. I did have two side effects. It became harder for me to remember things, and I would have a harder time concentrating in my classes. School was harder for me after that, but I eventually got used to it. But it did keep me seizure free for 3 years. I was off meds for 3 years, but now I have to go back on them. I'm probably gonna request Lamictal because it worked so well for me.
And I was taking 150mg in the morning and 200mg at night.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom