[Info] Left Temporal Lobe Resection Linked To Drop In Verbal Memory

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I had scar tissue removed from my right temporal lobe, and when I had my psych test done a year later my doctor said my visual memory was nowhere near what it was.

How is your visual memory? Did the left temporal resection have an affect on it too?

I also had RTL and lost my visual memory (like being blind in the mind but I get a glimpse) but my verbal memory improved greatly and perhaps it's because I'm more dependent on it today or doc said I was primarily dependent on visual than verbal and now that visual is gone I'm recognizing the verbal more and only assuming it's better than ever. Whatever it is I'm glad because I need the verbal since I lost the visual. Today I exercise my verbal memory a lot because as we age both verbal and visual (along with everything else :ponder:) weakens anyway and since we're now missing the other part to compliment it (whether visual or verbal memory) it's important to keep the one we have strong because without it we're kind of screwed. I rely heavily on verbal memory now "words" and have learned to utilize it and I try not to depend much on visual. I know it's not easy...but we definitely need to try to keep the one we have strong.

MY visual memory is still good. It's the verbal memory for me that is effected. I can remember places, but forget names, words. Aphasia for me is bad now. Very frustrating to be mid-sentence and forget what I'm trying to say and then loose my train of thought!

Ouch...this makes for difficult reading. I have just read the report on docguide.com. I'm not one to believe immeadiately something cited on the internet so I'll have to read into a little further to check the sources etc.

I have abnormalities with my front left temporal lobe and often find word recall a real difficulty, and like some others, find myself lost mid sentence. However, this could also be down to my dyslexia and confidence at times.

I recently underwent a rigorous test for memory, aptitude and intelligence to check that all was okay or and to discover whether or not things were 'deteriorating'. My memory was fine, I had an above average IQ, however I remember finding the word recall tests harder than others. But to get to my point, this was more down to my confidence at the time as opposed to actual word recall issues.

Just thought this could be worth sharing should anyone else be in a similar situation.

Steve

Cint,
I just saw this was posted from awhile back after I posted a message just now in The Kitchen asking for information and details about loss of verbal memory after having brain surgery. Something I had to confront in August and decide whether to do or not do the surgery. I take it from what you said that you don't recommend it.

Back
Top Bottom