Votes: 12 48.0%
  • Both left handed and right handed

Votes: 8 32.0%
  • Neither left handed or right handed

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Hi Amy, sometimes these questions get lost in the polls.
What was your question to Brandi?
I reread the thread and can't figure it out, so I decided the best approach would be to ask you directly.

Thanks Robin, here is the original reference:

Originally Posted by forward2007 :

More than one of my neurologists has told me that 65% of lefties are left brained.

Brandi said: Wha-What?! I always thought that if your left side of your brain controls you right side of your body and the right side of your brain controls the left side of your body... strange...

---- And I meant to say that I have the same question in my mind too. I have been thinking that left side of the brain controls the right side of the body. if you can please explain the above statement of neurologist, that would be great!
Thanks again,
Amy

Amy,
I'm sorry...I didn't see your post until today...
Right now, I can't remember what I was thinking. But I'll try and get back to you with the answer in a few minutes :)

I think it just means that they tend to be dominated by their left brain.

http://www.funderstanding.com/right_left_brain.cfm
http://www.web-us.com/brain/braindominance.htm

FYI- if you ever want to quote someones post, or answer a person with their post... see the quote button on the right side of each post, you click that and it will open up a reply message window and the post will be quoted. You just add your answer, question, reply after the last quote marks. Just thought you might like to try that next time.

I don't remember what I was talking about...I think I misunderstood their post. I thought they were saying that the left side of the the brain controls the left side of your body (your left side of your brain makes your left arm move for instance) which I thought was opposite...

But what I think the post meant was exactly what Robin said above ^^

you too?

I attended a Private Catholic School at first.
When I was younger, I was going back and forth between hands, but my mom caught me when I had the crayon in my right hand and said that she was glad, cuz a proper school wouldn't accept me if I was a lefty.
Also, I always thought that the 'quarter test' proved merely that I am cross eyed. I didn't know it was true for everyone. Thanks.

Last edited:
Right Or Left??!!

I write with my right hand,but i do EVERYTHING else 'left-handed' officially although i write with my right hand,in my toddler books it states that i am a lefty.yet i write with my right hand??My Daughter Is "Ambidextrous with a preference to her left,with cross-dominance problems",and my lefty son is as well. My daughter is learning to play a "righty" violin with her whole class at school,and is really struggling. She wants to take up the violin and have lessons,but does anyone know of a manufacturer of "lefty" violins????(she's VERY musical)Oddly,my middle son is a dead set righty,and excels in COMPLETELY different subjects at school to the rest of us...where we are all into art,music,drama,history,geography,cookery,CDT etc,he is into maths,science - especially biology and physics,electronics and computer studies.

Well, I'm a lefty and I majored in math and computer science like your son.

But, your daughter could be at an advantage with the violin. Fingering requires a great deal of strength and her dominant left hand will help her there. There are lefty guitars, but all the strings have to be reversed to be consistent with fingering.

As a child my mom just gave me color pencils and told me to write my name or draw something. People told her to make me do it with my right hand but she insisted she wasnt going to force me to write with that hand and to let me do what i felt most comfortable with. I started coloring and writting with my left hand one day at home and never looked back. everyone thought it was amazing and told my mom i was going to be really smart! haha!

im still left handed but do pretty much everything else with my right hand. i love piano and music but cant play for squat because of the music being written for righties. = (

(i still will buy a electric guitar and a key board though in my efforts to try to defy the world anyway! MUHAHAHA!) = )

i can play most thing by EAR though which im great at and people cant even tell that im not using the written notes half the time. (i dont know anyone thats THAT good at it enough to be able to tell anyway) hehe

Here's a very simple test:

Take a quarter and tape it to the wall 10 feet away
5 feet up.

Put Your Thumb (either one) and
touch your nose and then extend
that Thumb straight outwards keeping
it aimed at that quarter and
having both eyes opened
and NOW:

CLOSE YOUR RIGHT EYE AND THEN
YOUR LEFT EYE.

THE EYE THAT THE QUARTER STAYS
CENTERED ON YOUR THUMB IS YOUR
DENOMINATE EYE!

(Yes, the eye that's not centered on
the quarter will "jump" off or move)

Sounds so simple - huh?

Go try it!

I've done this before, and I'm left-eye dominant. When I take pictures, I've always automatically looked through the viewfinder with my left eye without ever really thinking about it. I'm right handed, though. But because I took karate when I was a kid, and fighting stance is left foot forward, I also felt more comfortable playing hockey left handed (my friends had a left handed stick), and also snowboarding "fakie", which is left forward.
Handedness is really interesting to me. My dad is left-handed. I was just reading about handedness on Wikipedia one day, and it said how it's very rare for women to be left-handed. The funny thing is that two of my good friends (who are women) are left-handed. And I'm friends with a couple whose 2-year-old daughter is left-handed. I notice that kind of thing so one time I noticed that she does a lot of things with her left hand, so I asked her mom if her daughter was left handed and she said she was. The little girl's dad is left-handed too.

Back
Top Bottom