lost without braintalk

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Status
Not open for further replies.

annie

New
Reaction score
hi, i am annied from mgh, figured might as well stay annie here.

have pretty constant absence seizures, average 10 an hour, since birth. am now 67. pretty bored with the whole thing.

have serious photosensitive problems and surf with everything possible turned off. managing this site pretty well, tho there are some problems. but very few.

am interested in biofeedback but no one can find anything around here.

hoping to keep up with some of the old friends and to make some new ones.

Hi Annie, welcome to the forum. <wave> It's no fun when your favorite forum goes off-line. Hopefully BT will return soon. In the meantime, it's nice to see a familiar face (so to speak) over here.

We have 3 different 'skins' available on this forum. If the default 'noteboard' style is difficult to navigate, you can try one of the others by changing the "board style" setting in your profile.

EEG neurofeedback really helped Stacy with her absense seizures. She hasn't had one in about ten years now since she finished ~5-6 months of the training. I highly recommend it if you can find a competent practitioner in your area.

bernard said:
Hi Annie, welcome to the forum. <wave> It's no fun when your favorite forum goes off-line. Hopefully BT will return soon. In the meantime, it's nice to see a familiar face (so to speak) over here.
thanks for the kind words.

bernard said:
We have 3 different 'skins' available on this forum. If the default 'noteboard' style is difficult to navigate, you can try one of the others by changing the "board style" setting in your profile.
i have absolutely everything turned off in the browser. i don't see skins. i don't see pictures. i don't see color. i don't see fonts. i don't see anything whatsoever that the web page designer has created. what i see is white background, black text. graphics are not there. i do see the alt tags for the graphics, which is frequently helpful. many of the alt tags at mgh are missing, and i have to make guesses as to what things are.

however, one problem with good alt tags is that they can be larger than the graphic they represent and distort the page. for example, i am looking at the emoticons to the left of this box. i do not see any graphics whatsoever because i have them turned off in the browser. i see words like Wink or Arrow. i also see long phrases like "Crying or Very sad" which stretches the area allotted for the graphic quite a bit. this can be avoided by putting in a size for each graphic. tedious but extremely helpful for those of us who are photosensitive and have graphics turned off.

bernard said:
EEG neurofeedback really helped Stacy with her absense seizures. She hasn't had one in about ten years now since she finished ~5-6 months of the training. I highly recommend it if you can find a competent practitioner in your area.

i think we have talked about this in the past at mgh, a couple of years ago. could not find anyone practicing in my area. since i live in the los angeles area, the birthplace of biofeedback, this surprized me very much. even if i could find one, i can't drive and have serious transportation problems, have no money or health insurance except for social security, and am in poor enough physical condition that solving all these problems are simply beyond me. so this stuff is only a dream. my seizures are actually the least of my problems right now.

but i truly believe that you find what you look for, so what i look for is joy and beauty and friendship. which is what i hope to find here.

Hi annie - I'm 62 year old Nancy. My avatar says, "I had brain surgery. What's your excuse?" It's the title of a book I read before I had surgery in Feb. to remove a tumor.
Brain surgery is no fun but I haven't had a seizure since then.

I live in a very rural area and there's no transportation, no neighbors, nothing except my PC and animal feeders. My husband is here after work, of course, but he's more quiet than a visiting bird.

annie said:
... this can be avoided by putting in a size for each graphic. tedious but extremely helpful ...

When I get some time (maybe IF is a better word, sigh), I'll have a look and see if the template can be easily modified. The problem with mucking around with forum software is that when new updates are released, they often overwrite any modifications you have made and you (I) have to do them all over again. It's not easy remembering everything you changed (and where in the code you changed it) when you do it once a year or so. It would be much, much better if the forum software developers incorporated such changes into the base software.

annie said:
but i truly believe that you find what you look for, so what i look for is joy and beauty and friendship. which is what i hope to find here.

<thumbs up>

bernard said:
annie said:
... this can be avoided by putting in a size for each graphic. tedious but extremely helpful ...
It's not easy remembering everything you changed (and where in the code you changed it) when you do it once a year or so. It would be much, much better if the forum software developers incorporated such changes into the base software.

you could keep documentation? (she says gently)

i would offer to size them for you but i just got a new computer with a new operating system and am pretty confused. i was using still 98 and looked up one day and was completely obsolete. all the software i am used to is obsolete. so i am in a long learning curve. tho sizing the emoticons might be a good way to learn this new graphics software and see if i can use it without seizures. was using an elderly LView, which didn't bother me in small doses.

for several reasons am unable to transfer files from my old hard drive at this time, going a little crazy here.

I'll do my best to make the forum friendly for you (I'm not convinced I'd be able to find or decypher any notes I make, but I'll try). However, it will be a while before I can dedicate some time to the effort. I'm tied up with a project for work for the forseeable future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom