Med frustration

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
New here...have Partial Complex seizures diagnosed 3 years ago or so....now about to start on my 5th med as I keep having breakthrough auras after being on a med for a while. Have gone through Keppra, carbamazepine (my liver didn't like this one) topiramate, zonisamide and now my Doc is putting me on valproate cuz the zonisamide made me feel sick all the time and I started with the auras again after abt 5 weeks on it and we raised the dose once.
Anybody have good results on the valproate?

Hey there Trish, welcome to CWE!

Haven't tried valproate myself, others may weigh in. I've had good results with Lamotrigine.

Hi nursetrish,

Welcome to the forum! Just like you I've been on many different meds at least 10 or more to help stop my complex partial and absence seizures. I was on valproate and it worked great for me reducing the seizures but I had to go off the drug because it lowered my blood platelets and I noticed some bruises on my skin. I then had to have blood test done and that's when they found out that the drug was lowering my blood platelet level. Since then I went on vimpat and that has helped me a lot reducing the seizures even more but then my Dr. did a DNA test on me and found I was drug resistant to all seizure meds out on the market right now so they put me on the cbd oil (medical marijuana) and my seizures are now at the lowest rate in the past 46 yrs. Another thing that helped stop my seizures is apple cider vinegar with mother in it. I started taking that to lose weight but to my amazement my seizures decreased even more. I wish you the best of luck and Take my word everyone here is very helpful and friendly. May God Bless You!

Sue

Thanks so much! How much of the vinegar do you take a day? I am interested in trying that. I appreciate your input and God's blessings back to you!

Hi nursetrish,

I take 2 Tablespoons of the vinegar in the morning after I get up and I'm going to have breakfast. If you do try this check with your pharmacist first to make sure there won't be any problems with your seizure meds. Also be sure to drink some water or some type of fluid right after you take the vinegar because the vinegar can sometimes affect a person teeth. Wishing you only the best and May God Bless You!

Sue

Hello. I have both simple & complex partials. I've been on nearly every AED out there. I'm now on Topamax/topiramate (400mg/day) & zonisamide (300mg/day). I still get 1-3 breakthroughs each month. I had to switch to zonisamide recently due to our insurance. I don't know how it will work in the long run.

New here...have Partial Complex seizures diagnosed 3 years ago or so....now about to start on my 5th med as I keep having breakthrough auras after being on a med for a while. Have gone through Keppra, carbamazepine (my liver didn't like this one) topiramate, zonisamide and now my Doc is putting me on valproate cuz the zonisamide made me feel sick all the time and I started with the auras again after abt 5 weeks on it and we raised the dose once.
Anybody have good results on the valproate?
Sorry for the negativity, for me none of the meds work just make me feel weirder than normal. When I miss one seizures start. I have a V.N.S. that don't help because they can't turn it up high enough. It makes me choke and throw up. I want it out 3rd one now.

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom