[Info] Meds that can Cause Seizures

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Zoe

Alternative Research Encyclopedia
Reaction score
Hi Folks,
The Epilepsy Therapy site has a article on medications that can cause seizures
http://www.epilepsy.com/epilepsy/newsletter/Jul09_AEDS?print=true
There are hundreds of them so it is well worth anyone's time to go through the article and one of the lists http://www.epilepsy.com/pdfs/drugs_that_can_cause_seizures.pdf

Another way to learn if a med may be causing seizures is to check it out on a google search.

A number of drugs I used are on the list, which just bolsters my opinion that the brain damage was not the main reason for my seizures, but that drugs were a major trigger. Once I got off the drugs it was possible to bring my "intractable" seizures under control, no seizures now since 1998. Sorry I've not posted for so long, have been very ill this year and am coming around. Cheers to all.
Zoe :mrt:

Wow. Ativan. That's good to know, a drug prescribed for seizures can cause seizures.
Was told to keep them on me at all times in case I'm having a bad partial and think a T.C. may be on its way; keep them in my purse as it's always with me.
Only taken one so far, bf put it under my tongue right after my last T.C. b/c I wasn't coming around very well. So yeah... it's possible that it could have caused another one? Lucky me.

Wow. Ativan. That's good to know, a drug prescribed for seizures can cause seizures.
Was told to keep them on me at all times in case I'm having a bad partial and think a T.C. may be on its way; keep them in my purse as it's always with me.
Only taken one so far, bf put it under my tongue right after my last T.C. b/c I wasn't coming around very well. So yeah... it's possible that it could have caused another one? Lucky me.

I'm not sure about that. If you look at the chart you will see that it says it can cause seizures in withdrawal. If you've only had the one then I would think the probability of that seizure being caused by the Ativan to be very low.

Last edited:
Hey eric, right, wasn't paying much attention to the side there, just quickly scrolled down the list for names I recognized. So yeah, obviously didn't mean it could happen from withdrawal of one pill; I would assume that's more for those who take it regularly for mental health reasons.

Do a google search on "sedation" "seizures" and you may find your answer. That was true for me with some of the drugs I took for seizures, the sedation was setting me off, or the withdrawals as with tranxene, to which I became addicted.

Well I'm coming off of Clonazepam next month (causes seizures in withdrawal) and going on to Pregabalin - see how it goes
:)

Back
Top Bottom