[Research] Microchips to control seizures?????

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

No-brainer

Pillar
Reaction score
This afternoon I was listening to the radio (to a show called "Spark" on CBC radio dealing with technology) and I heard that some scientists are experimenting with using microchips to help control seizures.

So I did a quick web search and here's an excerpt from one of the results:
From The Dana Foundation​
[/I]Research Holds Promise for New Epilepsy Treatments
By Elizabeth Norton Lasley
May 01, 2008
(Sorry, I can't post the link ... I'm too "young".) :)

" ... One, the Intercept Epilepsy Control System, is being developed by Medtronic Inc. of Minneapolis (the company that developed a deep brain stimulator for Parkinson’s disease). A form of deep brain stimulation, the Intercept system uses electrodes surgically implanted in the thalamus, which are connected by a wire down the patient’s neck to a battery pack in the chest. The electrodes act as a real-time EEG, detecting abnormal electrical activity in the brain and sending a corrective signal to the thalamus (an area that regulates movement and is thought to play a role in controlling seizures).

A second device, the Responsive Neurostimulator System, is under development at Neuropace Inc. of Mountain View, Calif. It is essentially a microchip beneath the skull, connected to electrodesthat can be implanted in a variety of locations and deliver bursts of electricity to disrupt seizure activity."

Maybe this is old news ... but it's news to me!​

Back
Top Bottom