My Car Accidents..

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Kate

New
Reaction score
Wreck Number One

One day after school my sophmore year I was taking a French lesson and decided I HAD to have a new shirt for school the next day. Unfortunately, the mall is 45 minutes away, but luckily I was 16 and could drive, so I asked my tutor to come with me. He agreed, and he and I set off to the mall.

He told me to take a short cut that I didn't know. It was a normal paved road. I was going the speed limit. All of a sudden the paved road turned to gravel. I lost complete control of the car. My Grand Am swerved into the ditch and flipped three times in a field before coming to a stop upside down in a field. I was unconscious. I woke up several hours later in the hospital.

No, we did not have our seat belts on. A huge and extremely STUPID mistake. I was thrown all over the inside of the car. Although I had no broken bones, I had three earrings in my right ear entirely ripped out. I also had a large amount of glass in all different areas of my skin. I had horrid whiplash, an obvious concussion, and brain damage. The passenger was not injured.

(I have NO memories of this wreck or most of the hospital stay - I only can tell this story because it was told to me several times.)

Wreck Number Two

My senior prom. I was 18 years old.. an exciting night for any girl. My date was of course, my 20 year old boyfriend. We had then been dating almost 3 years. We both had an amazing time, and after prom, decided to visit his Mom. His Mom lives 45 minutes away from our home town, in a bigger city (yes, the city where the mall was I was headed to on my first accident.)

The morning after prom I woke up with a horrid migraine. It was probably from all of the pins in my hair, who knows? Anyway, we got in his brand new 2006 Equinox and headed towards my home. Because my headache was so horrid, I decided to lay down in the back seat. My boyfriend is a guitarist, and he had his BC Rich Warlock guitar on the floor (in NO case) in front of me. This time, I had a seat belt around my waist.

So, we're about 5 minutes from his mother's house and we are stopped at a stop light. There is one car in front of us. All of a sudden there is a huge BANG. The guitar flies up and hits me in the head. Surprise, I am knocked out.

I wake up to find out, a 16 year old boy in an SUV did not "see" the red light and was going OVER the speed limit (which was 55 mph) and hit us. Causing us to hit the car in front of us. Luckily they were not pushed too far into the road, and were not injured.

ONCE again, I am the only one injured in this wreck! I have a concussion and a gigantic mark from the guitar on my head. I also had a huge bruise on my wrist, and thought it was broken, but it wasn't, along with a mark from the seatbelt around my waist. Apparently my boyfriend was extremely angry I was hurt and wanted to kill the guy who hit us.. But, he kept his cool.

I healed okay from that wreck.. but the Equniox was in the shop for quite some time. Nearly two months. This is going to come into play in my next, and hopefully last wreck.

Here is a picture of the guitar that hit me in the head.

warlock2.jpg

Wreck Number Three.. The Big One.

Still 18 years old. Exactly TWO weeks to the day of my high school graduation. My then boyfriend's Equinox has been out of the shop for only a few days. I had been on vacation in Miami with a friend for my Graduation present. I got home Saturday morning, June 10th, 2006.

My boyfriend and I were going to go to Saturday night church, but since I had been gone and we hadn't spent much time together, we lost track of time swimming in my pool. We looked at the clock and realized we had missed church, and decided to go ahead and head out of town (same city the other wreck was in) to see a movie.

We get ready.. head on our way. I never ride in the car with shoes. I always take my flip-flops off when we get in. I was barefoot, and we both had the windows down. It was a cool summer evening. We were one block from the theatre, and the sun was still up, but it was starting to go down.

All of a sudden a man in an old car starts to come into our lane. Although I have no memory of this, or the initial impact, I apparently said "here he comes." This gives my boyfriend enough time to try to slow down. Not enough time though.

The other car hits us head on. We both spin in circles. Thank God the road was empty other than us. We hit the side of the road and bounce, and than hit it, and stop. We both sit there calmly. The smell from the airbags is in the air. They are deflated and look so odd. I am sitting there, with my right arm still out the window. Very calmly. Like nothing happened.

My boyfriend and I look at each other. He says to me
"I think I broke my arm." and I say "I think I broke my ankle." We both sit there. In complete shock. Suddenly, people from Applebees, which was right near us, pour out. A woman is the window, asking me all sorts of questions. Telling me I was hit by a drunk driver. It's all so surreal. My head is spinning. I want to tell her I'm okay. I'm going to the movies, and to go away.

A few people get me out of the car, and sit me on the curb next to it. I see smoke coming out, and ask to be moved. I cannot walk, and have to be carried. The manager of Applebees brings me a glass of water and puts ice on my ankle.

Luckily, my boyfriend's father happened to be out to eat in the same town. He was at the scene within 5 minutes. We still laugh about this, because one of the first things I asked for was to make sure he got my Coach purse so it didn't get dirty.

My boyfriend and I were both taken to the hospital together. I remember the EMT asking who got the pain medicine first. Bless his heart, he looked at me, and said "give it to her." I know he was in a ton of pain, but he couldn't bear seeing me hurt.

The driver that hit us was NEVER given any sort of test to see if he was drinking, although everyone who saw the accident (there were witnesses in the parking lot of Applebees) said he was swerving before he hit us and the way he was speeding (he was going over 65 mph) thought he must have been. That driver walked away with no injuries. He also had very little insurance.

My boyfriend's (who yes, is now my ex) father is an attorney. His best friend is representing me in my case for this accident. On account of the fact I just had my second ankle surgery in February of this year, and am considered "disabled" for the rest of my life, it will be quite some time until the case is settled.

I would list my injuries from this wreck.. but I think you all know them. They also are just so extensive, and take so long to list. I believe this is a long enough post.

I found out this morning, that one of my best friend's was in a car accident. Her boyfriend, another one of my close friend's was killed by a drunk driver two years ago the day after Thanksgiving.

This is Stacie's wreck.

stace.jpg

Thank God, Stace, my friend, is okay. Although, a Dodge Ram landed on top of her car. I have been sobbing all morning, and all these feelings of my accidents came back to me. I really needed to share my stories with others. I understand that this is probably too long to read.. but it's the first time I've really got it all out. We don't really talk about the accident's much around my house here, and my friend's all know about them, and don't wanna hear about them again and again.

Most of the time, I handle it all really well. But every once in awhile.. I get really upset. I get upset at the man who hit me. I get upset just that any of it ever happened. It's all so unfair. But than, I know it could be so much worse. I know many of you, have been in worse accidents.

It's just so surreal, than me, a 20 year old, have already been in three such horrid accidents. It leaves me asking "why me?" I don't understand. I am glad I'm alive though.. God obviously has some big plans for me. And these wrecks had their purpose, because they made me the strong and compassionate person I am today.

Thanks for being there, and if you made it through all of this, WOW!

Last edited:
Once in a while I reflect back on all the crazy traffic situations I've been in where I managed to avoid a wreck and appreciate how lucky I've been.

I hope you never have another wreck again. :noevil:

I have the lovely reminder that the one car accident I have been in I caused.

We had recently moved to a new city. I had a new baby, and a three year old in the car. I was on my way to a Gymboree class and was looking around for street names and such.
I remember looking over at my baby in the car seat, and glancing at my son in the back in a car seat. I remember seeing a flashing red light in the intersection... but it did not register. A young girl in a large Buick type car was turning and I went right into her passenger door.

The kids were fine, but for years after my son reminded me everytime we went through that intersection.

I needed a new car, and the girl who had been standing talking to a police officer, for some reason could not go back to work. Luckily I had good insurance, and everything was taken care of.

I think of myself as an excellent driver, and have not had a moving violation in 25+ yrs.
Something happened that day and I made a huge mistake. I chalked it up to lack of sleep, and new mom brain fog. Really no excuse. One should never get into a moving vehicle when tired, drunk, or on heavy meds.

I am glad that you are alive Kate. A bit broken, but Alive. Makes one appreciate each day. Others haven't been so lucky. I tell this to my son who fell off of a 40 ft. cliff. But that is a story for another time. He is turning 23 on Thursday.

Wow Kate!....that's a lot to bear!...

...I wish alternate (SAFER) transportation were more readily available for everyone.
I hope your friend is okay.
Peace
Spencer
:rock:

Don't ever feel bad.

Don't ever feel bad about recounting these accidents. They were very traumatic moments in your life and they sadly happen too often. As an EMT, I saw way too many of them over the years.

I have been VERY lucky over the years. I have not had an accident (knock on every piece of wood I can find) since I was 17. One of them on my 17th birthday. Other than a nasty scar on my temple, I came through pretty good.

Hope my luck holds out for another 30-40 years!!!

KATE: So sorry you have had to endure all those!

:(

But just be thankful you're alive and well. I've been
in 25 altogether (last one being 06/28/07), and that's
way too many, and none of them were ever my fault
nor were there anything I could have done to prevent
such on my part either. 3 of them were critical, with
the 2 of them being a result of a Felon; which does
include the very last one from last year that ended it
all ~ my driving days. A Felon fleeing from a Cop, my
son and I were 2nd victims and it ended there.

Count your blessings!

Wow! There has to be a purpose for you guys to be here!! I think some of us are simply more accident prone than others.

It's probably good that you remember this stuff even though it is traumatic.

drunk drivers

My dad was a drunk driver & etc. It was always scary when we had to be in the same vehicle with him. Really bad when mom was there yelling at my dad.
Drunks suck. And right now, I have a flash of anger/sadness wash over me, so I'll stop, or I'll seize.

Back
Top Bottom