My Epidural Today

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Kate

New
Reaction score
I think I had mentioned previously I was having an epidural today due to some back problems I have (long story.) Anyway, it went well. Better than I expected!

The nurse had some trouble getting an IV in me, but she used lidocaine before she started poking around, and it only took two tries and I can deal with that, I've had many many worse experiences with IVs, lol.

Anyway, they took me into the operating room and had me lay down on my stomach, and the nurse said she was going to put the medicine in my IV and it may burn a bit. Well she wasn't kidding! I have no idea what it was.. but it did burn. It also made me feel like I was going to throw up. Thank goodness I wasn't allowed to eat.

All of a sudden I felt a rush go through my body and I could tell the medicine was working... I felt really funny and like I was going to fall asleep. It seemed like it was about 5 seconds after the medicine went in, but really it had to be at least 15 minutes later, when the nurse said "okay, we're all done." I couldn't believe it! They had said it would be kind of painful and I would feel pressure in my back and some pain, etc. I didn't feel a thing! I never even knew they did it! lol.

I was in recovery for about 30 - 45 minutes. Honestly I was so out of it I don't remember. Mom and I laughed about it when I woke up later because she said I had a sprite and I kept missing my mouth with the straw and I would sit the sprite on my chest (I was sitting up in a recliner) and I would dose off.

I slept the entire way home (the surgery center was 45 minutes away) and than slept until about 4 PM. I've been awake about 5 hours, and it's about time for me to head back to sleep.

My butt is TOTALLY numb and that's normal, however the local in my back is wearing off and it's a little sore. I am using ice on it though. I'm exhausted and out of it.

The worst thing is the nausea. I guess it's from whatever medicine they gave me. It's normal on the list of side effects. I've been on the verge of getting sick all day. Was able to keep down some toast and chicken noodle soup though. Also been drinking juices to keep my fluid intake up.

I took a prescription nausea medicine my doctor gave me about 20 minutes ago, so I'm hoping it kicks in soon. I also took a pain pill to keep the pain from getting too bad.

Well, I think I should be off to bed! I have a feeling even though I'm sore, I'm going to get some good sleep tonight. And in the next few days, once the epidural kicks in and my back pain is reduced, I'll REALLY be sleeping better.. I cannot wait. At least we have one problem checked off the list.

And just so you all know.. Next medical issue to deal with.. ankle surgery. Date for that is January 9th. It's not TOO serious - just having the hardware removed, but it's still kind of a big deal. If anyone is ever interested in seeing pictures of my ankle from my original surgery (had to have a few bones in my ankle completely broken and re-set and a joint fused and pins put in and rod put up my heel) just send me a private message and I'll send you a link. = )

Last edited:
Man!.....that's a lot of goin's on there Kate!...

I hope you feel better soon!
:rock:

Oh, OWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!:ponder:

I've had several epidurals done.....and they didn't work at all for me. I'm glad you're getting relief. That's absolutely WONDERFUL!!!!!!! :clap::clap:

I just CAN'T IMAGINE having all that hardware in your ankle though...........OWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!

Sleep well!

Meetz

9b654c52.gif

Kate here's a little trick about the nausea. Sip flat CocaCola. It has to be flat so take the cap off it the day before and let it die. Then chill well. It really takes the edge off that nausea. Between my son and me, we've had almost 35 surgical proceedures. There is something the anesthestist can give you too but you have to ask them directly.

Owwww... I do not want to be reminded
of this.

I hope you feel better soon!

Ouch ! Glad all went well Kate - I can just picture you with the damn straw on that Sprite though....LOL (they gave me a boiling hot coffe after having my Colonoscopy - good job I never went to sleep hey ?)

I'd love to see the pics of your ankle surgery stuff....call me freaky or whatever, but I swear I was a surgeon in my previous life. All that stuff just fascinates me.

Back
Top Bottom