[GARD/GFCF] My experience with the GARD diet

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Meetz1064

Fantastico
Reaction score
My experience with The G.A.R.D. diet so far.

Mainly tonic clonic with some myoclonic mixed in; there’s the possibility I’m going through some complex partials and simple partials, too, but that hasn’t been confirmed.

As for frequency, the t/c’s occur only in my sleep, and it’s been over FIVE YEARS now since I’ve had one (Knocking on wood). The myoclonics only happen when I am at rest…but that doesn’t mean I have to be asleep. Generally I AM asleep when the myoclonics occur, but a few have occurred when I’ve been reading a book. They only happen a couple of times a year, with no rhyme or reason to them.

2. What anti-epileptic drugs (medications) had you tried prior to the alternative treatment?

Phenobarbital
Tegretol
Neurontin
Dilantin
Felbatol
Lamictal
Depakote
Topamax
Klonopin
Depakene
Valproate
Ativan

3. How long did you try the alternative treatment?

I’ve been using a form of the G.A.R.D. diet for roughly the last 4 years, and didn’t know it, until I started reading about it here. I have some allergies, so it’s slightly modified, but not too much.

4. If the treatment requires active participation, how diligent were
you in applying it?

I'm trying as hard as possible to stick to the diet plan. A few times
I may have strayed somewhat due to stress, but nothing extreme.

5. What changes (improvements or otherwise) occurred with your seizure
control with the alternative treatment?

It’s rare that I’ve gone over the 5 year mark, much less felt this good. Part of that I do have to attribute to my new rehab doctor, but he agrees that the G.A.R.D. diet is absolutely the right thing for me, having gone through it with a fine tooth comb with me when we first met. The myoclonics seem to have let up, too. They seemed to have been a part of my dreams before, and are no longer.

6. What (if any) adverse effects/events did you experience with the
alternative treatment?

Like BigMan, The only bad effects I have experienced with the G.A.R.D. diet is the introduction phase. AKA: The body cleaning itself out. That was horrible. Oh, one other thing I have a problem with though, is because of my allergies….if I eat something that IS on the diet, but that I’m allergic to, even slightly, I have the WORST abdominal discomfort……

7. How much did it cost you to implement the alternative treatment?

My shopping bill runs higher than BigMan’s, because of my allergies (gluten, lactose, corn, mushrooms, olives and potatoes). I use lots of fresh fruits and veggies, salads, and meats that I have worked back into my diet over time as well as a yogurt that my stomach can actually tolerate…..

Well overall I think the G.A.R.D. diet is worth a try. It definitely can't hurt, just help. I’ve been using it for quite a while now…and the results are obvious. Even my doctors don’t deny that.

That's awesome. Thanks for sharing your experience! :mrt:

Back
Top Bottom