My Poor Mommy!

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Rae1889

Veteran
Reaction score
So I was talking to my mother about my diagnoses and she came clean about something I didnt expect.

She said she has been dealing with brain/head issues since she was around my age (I am 20 and she is 39) So here is what she told me and i'm asking if anything sounds familiar or if you have ever heard of this before.

She says that she FEELS *not hears* vibrations in her head. Almost like a cat purring. Where its not loud enough for you to hear but if you put your hand on the cat you can feel the purring. Sometimes she says it feels like her brain hits the inside of her skull *I get this feeling only when I sneeze*

She got a CT scan done *she doesnt remember if it was a CT or MRI etc but knows there was a scan of some sort that came back clean* She also said that she has "sudden shivers" like she was cold but she's not.

It has been 20 years roughly since that scan and nothing has gotten worse as far as pain etc. but it has become more frequent where she feels it a few times an hour. every day almost. She has never ended up in the hospital *aside from having kids, endometritis and her hesterctomy. then an esophogus issue in July*

Any thoughts on what this is?

She tried talking to our doctor but he doesnt understand her analogy and says the CT scan back then was fine. he hasnt ordered any other tests etc. She doesnt know what else to do, So i am also bringing this up with my neurologist.

Ummm, she

really needs to get in to see a neuro, Rae. I can't say for sure what it is, but it's entirely possible that it IS a seizures, and it wouldn't surprise me if it is, either. But she NEEDS to have an EEG (24 hour minimum) and MRI done at the very least......

Definitely needs to see a neuro...If there was hearing loss I'd suggest an ENT.

Maybe hormonal changes (post-hysterectomy) have altered her metabolism so that she is more vulnerable or more sensitive to what is happening. Definitely get another opinion -- it sounds like her regular doc isn't paying attention.

Hi skilly.
My mu definitely has hearing loss. She has a damaged nerve from when she was young that ruined her hearing. she didnt find out until she was 26 that she had that. She was put in speech therapy when she was young because she couldnt speak and learned to read lips on her own.

I agree that she definitely needs to see a neurologist. It might be something small, but you never know. Always better to be safe than sorry. Hope she does well (and you too)
Hugs and prayers, Leslie G.

Have her see an ENT as well and ask about Menier's Disease. It can cause drop attacks, confusion, loss of hearing, loss of balance, and tinnitus. Me, I hear what sounds like an electrical current all day every day in my head....

Hi Rae,
I hope your Mom gets sorted out / a diagnosis soon.
*Sending Hugs*
:flowers:

Amazing how these parallels show up once things are in the open huh Rae?

My wife had a similar situation. She started having seizures about 2 years ago, but we didn't know at the time. Then after she had her first witnessed T-C her father had a seizure and went status only a few months later. No history of epilepsy or seizures for either of them until that point. Then both in a month or 2 span. How do you figure?

E never makes sense. If there's one thing I've learned, that is certainly it. However, if you look for genetic links I think they can be more prevelant then doctors care to admit.

I definitely agree with all the recomendations. Urge her to see a neurologist. If this is causing her so much pain every day it would be worth it to have it checked out, especially if there's a possibility of getting rid of it. I hope she can get a diagnosis!

I think, that maybe she should see her regular Dr. first. Get somebody that knows her. I think that it very well could be some sort of defiency. I have anemia plus I am bleeding so much because of menopause my head does a lot of things. I called my epileptologist and they sent me right to my regular doc. Then I will go to the epi. Doc. It all ties together. That's hard. Just reasure her.

I don't have any relevent medical advice. But wanted to say hope everything goes well for your mom. Who knows maybe you getting diagnoised was karmas way of making sure your mom got her situation looked into (always looking for the silver lining)
Best O'Luck

Thanks Beauty! She got an appointment with my neuro to dicuss all this. She has to go for all the usual tests now too.

Oh wow!!!

Wow, Rae I'm sorry to hear this about your mom and perhaps she is having seizures and it's good she's seeing a neurologist. I say this because for the 1st time reading this post you described something I have never been able to put words to. Yes, like what a cat feels like purring...the vibration that no one else sees, hears, feels, etc. I get that and I have seizures. Describing it as a chill is kind of how I explained but it's in the brain...perhaps a better word would be more like a "shrudder". It lasts for just a second...like a chill would last for a second. I'm completely blown away right now because like I said I have never been able to describe it and the cat purring was perfect. It's like our brain purrs, only it's not happy. I don't get these all the time with seizures, but I'm assuming this is yet another type. It has woken me up too and I'm finding right at this moment that it's probably not something she should describe and discuss because I can almost feel myself bringing it on just by merely thinking about it. So I will end with this, I HOPE I'M WRONG and I'm wishing your mom the VERY BEST OF HEALTH.

yes, my mum was frustrated because when she described it like that, nobody took her seriously. they kept telling her she HEARD the sound of a cat purring, but she FELT the virbrations of a cat purring in her head.

hopefully this is another peice to the puzzle of my E and hers. We will both get the answers we need.

It's often so hard to describe how we feel to other people. I've tried to describe the feelings I get from simple partials and auras to people and they just look at me funny.

I'm really glad to hear your mom has an appointment with the neurologist. I hope it goes really well and she gets some answers.

She actually ended up getting an appointment with my neurologist, and that will happen on the 24th. My EEG Is on the 25th.

Back
Top Bottom