My recent love of lemons

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

jgeekie

New
Reaction score
I don't know if anyone else has had an experience like my recent history;

I had been seizure free for years, until March 9. March 9 I had 5 tonic-clonic seizures in a 12 hour period, and got first class treatment in the ICU for almost a week. My medication dosages have been upped and I'm struggling with the side effects of the medication. I lost my driver's license and this will impact how I make a living for at least the next few months. I have portions of my memory that have simply been replaced with a fixed image and the memories of weeks of my life have been stolen, simply blotted out. When I woke up nothing worked right mentally. Looking at the situation objectively, it seems highly unfortunate, possibly the blackest time of my life.

The funny thing is that I can't help but see the whole experience as one of the best things ever to happen to me. It's been three short weeks and I feel like myself. I can feel my brain reorganizing. I can feel myself healing. I weighed myself when I got home, and according to every measurement I can take, I burned 10 lbs of fat while I was seizing. None of my clothes fit anymore, and people who are unaware of what happened keep asking if I've been working out.

I came out of this with no lasting damage and waking up and knowing what some of the more dire consequences could have been for me has made the things of meaning in life clearer. Separating the wheat from the chaff in life, so to speak, has become much, much easier. I have been dating a woman for eight months, and she makes me happier than I've ever been. This has been by far the worst series of attacks I've ever dealt with and she has not seen even a minor one. She knew about them, but never seen one. I've been abandoned before because of seizures, and I was terrified that she would have fled after seeing what epilepsy meant. She was there and still is. I want to spend my life with her.

The price has been high for me this time, but given how this experience has affected me, I would gladly choose to take the same risks all over again to have what is important in life shown to me so clearly. The last three weeks have made it a privelidge to experience some of the hard miles life has offered me to travel.

Jay

Back
Top Bottom