Need Help With a Letter

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Rae1889

Veteran
Reaction score
I am moving soon, and with moving comes a closer, and different family doctor. I want to make an appointment with him/her and let them know that I am looking to start a family soon, and what steps to take. I also want to let them know that I want to be responsible and have better seizure control before I start having children. So I want to write a letter outlining my past, my symptoms and my thoughts on my seizures. I want to basically make it and easy to read history asking for guidance and a new neuro referral without sounding like I am begging for help... Or would begging for help make the ball start rolling faster.

So from you guys I would like to know how long you think it should be. I want it short but concise with all the points needed, but I have a tendency to make short stories long and add things that dont need to be said, or sound pushy. should I include printouts of my proof that Gabapentin can cause increased seizures, and that what I think those seizure issues were caused from while I took it? SHould I include my ICU history EEG stating Frontal lobe E? Should I include the overdose blood work, proving that an overdose on E meds can cause non-epileptic, physiological seizures that this could have been mistaken for?

What should I actually say? " I am writing to you because I want to make sure that this referral has as much information as required??" I dont quite know how to start that off. Any hints?

I think you need to let the doctor know of your concerns (basically what you say in your first two sentences in your post above), but save the the details and documents for when you meet him or her in person.

I think it might be tough for a doctor to get the right read on your situation by reading a big packet of info -- they might "get it" right away, but they might also just flip through and make a superficial knee-jerk judgement, and dismiss you before you even get your foot in the door. A face-to-face meeting can be much more productive, especially if you can get an appointment that last longer than a 1/2 hour.

(and BTW, good luck with the move!)

I agree with Nakamova that it would be best to let your new doctor meet you the person.

However if there are things you want to ask or make sure to tell them I would suggest marking them down for you to go over so that you don't forget when you do visit.

Thanks...

The problem with doing this in person is that it is such a touchy topic for me and I cry very easily about it. Not that I want to, and it gets me mad that I cry about it. I think it may be minimal PTSD from being in the ICU and hospital so much without actually getting answers.

Maybe you can do some "practice" appointments with a friend playing the role of the doctor first. You can even write a "script" for the appointment and bring it with you to the real appointment -- It can be handy to refer to if you get interrupted or nudged off-topic. You can start by telling the doctor up front that your past health history is an emotional topic and that you cry easily when discussing it. Then take a deep breath and go on from there...

I never really thought of just saying straight up that I get emotional about it... I guess its because I get embarrased and dont want to be looked at as a cry baby. I think I'll try that.

I know what it's like to want to stay strong and not show tears.
Just today my gp actually called me at home (shocking) and we were going over issues and he asked me how I felt about something because I'm so quiet that he didn't even know.

If we're open with our family doctors they are able to help us more easily.

I hope that you are able to find a good one.

Good luck with the move! That can be a hugely stressful thing! Change is exciting and scary...but a new beginning. Maybe where you're going things will change and miracles will happen! You never know.

Just so you know, you're not alone. I cry every time I have to talk about myself (about anything more than the general stuff).

I don't know why I cry. And it makes me mad that I do too. I also feel like a loser cry baby.

But I guess we're just sensitive.

Good luck with everything. I bet you'll be fine.

There is no reason to feel bad about crying. It is an emotion that we don't have a lot of control over, just like seizures. If you cry, you cry. No big deal. Dr's see really icky stuff all day long, so if the most we do is cry, then what the heck? He has an easy appointment :)

Back
Top Bottom