New Diagnosis

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

juanne

New
Reaction score
Following my incident in March I finally saw the neurologist who has suggested I take medication (lamotrogine -lamictal) as he thinks that it was most probably a seizure and because I have had something happen before, he feels that that is the best course of action.

He wants me to have an EEG before I start the medication, as this could affect the results. Whatever the results of the EEG though, he suggests I have the medication. My episodes aren't frequent though. The last time I saw a doc after what I now know was a tonic clonic, was almost ten years ago! I have had a couple of faints in between, but, again, pretty well spread apart!

The down side is that now I have a diagnosis of epilepsy, I cannot drive until March. I was hoping to get my licence back in September, but, that will not be the case. I understand the reasons why. He was very frank with me and highlighted the dangers of driving and also quoted the statistics of SUDEP, which I had never even known there was such a thing.

I understand too that driving is not just about me being injured, it is about other people, but, I was just in a bit of denial on the day.

The medication frightens me though. I am not one for taking tablets and the side effects look horrendous! I suppose it is about weighing up what is worse, the side effects from the medication or another incident like the one in March which could have had dire consequences if my son hadn't found me and it is just unknown whether it will happen again. It could happen in ten years, it may never happen again, it could happen today, it is odd!

It's when I talk to people who witnessed me at the time and afterwards that I realize how serious it was and it makes sense to take the meds, but, it is still a very scary concept. I was speaking to my step daughter today, who is a nurse and she commented that they did not know whether they were ever going to get me back as my brain was so shot for a while after.

I don't think the diagnosis was a shock really, as I have had funny spells before, but, the reality of an actual diagnosis does feels odd. Probably, because my spells, thankfully aren't frequent neither, but, none the less they happen and I guess you never know when that might be. I am getting on with life though and I am managing to get around without a car. Just need a bit more planning when I am doing things.

The medication frightens me though. I am not one for taking tablets and the side effects look horrendous! I suppose it is about weighing up what is worse, the side effects from the medication or another incident like the one in March which could have had dire consequences if my son hadn't found me and it is just unknown whether it will happen again. It could happen in ten years, it may never happen again, it could happen today, it is odd!

You may get some of the side effects or you might not. I think it's just something that has to be posted about the medicine because those things have happened to people.

If you do have side effects and they are too hard to handle you can always change meds. I went through a lot of meds (hopefully you won't) because of the side effects, or because the med it's self didn't work, until I found ones that are good for me.

side effects

Thanks for reply valeried, you are right. Lots of medications seem to have a worrying list of side effects and I know people don't always get them. I Will try not to worry about It and will see how I go.

Sorry to hear you went through a lot of meds before you found one that worked. Hope you are settled now.

Last edited:
Hi Juanne --

I have been on Lamotrigine now for over 5 seizure-free years. There were some side effects I experienced in the first few months (poor sleep, hair loss, mild dizziness), but they went away. The ones that are left are dry eyes and occasionally blurry vision -- annoying but basically tolerable, given the alternative of having tonic-clonic seizures.

I hope you have a good experience with Lamotrigine -- try it expecting the best, but paying attention to how you feel along the way. As Valerie says, if it doesn't work for you in terms of seizure control or side effects, there are other meds out there to try. Keep us posted!

My daughter has been on Lamontrigine for about a year and I've been pleasantly surprised. No major problems.

Back
Top Bottom