New here, just wanting to ask some questions

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm new here no current diagnosis or anything i just needed to ask a question.
For the last few weeks/months my nearly 2yo daughter has had some type of fit but they're so short and random I haven't been able to document them, they didn't look like any of the ones i found in videos but i know someone who's child has epileptic episodes that are similar but much more severe and wanted a knowledgeable opinion.

Basically she'll stop what she's doing, arms out, hands clenched and gritting her teeth so much the muscles in her neck show and shaking her head it's like a small but fast shake. Only happens for 3 or so seconds then she's back to normal and it's so random I've never had the chance to film it. Sorry if this is posted in the wrong spot. I'll be taking her to the doctor when I can I just wanted other people's opinions on whether it's actually a thing, my doctor already thinks I'm a bit nuts for having loads of problems that can't seem to be explained.

Hey there,

Sounds odd for sure. Try to notice any symptoms before or after this happens. You say she goes back to normal right away, but look for anything like drowsiness, dizziness, etc. These will help you with a diagnosis as well. Short irregular seizures like this would not necessarily be unheard of. Possibly try searching videos of specific types of seizures. That may lead you in a direction that looks more familiar.

Good luck!

Hi --

What you describe could be a seizure called an infantile spasms and/or perhaps focal motor seizures. Both kinds can include head motions and extending and clenching of arms and hands.

I recommend that you write down as much as you can remember about the episodes, since this information will help the doctor figure out whether the event was a seizure and whether it is likely to recur -- details such as time of day, how often, how long, any other health issues, etc. -- even if you're not sure if it's relevant.

Hi Lollys-mama,

Welcome to CWE! As Nakamova mentioned be sure to get down as much info. as you can and on a calendar write down what time the possible seizure happens. By writing down what time these seizures happen the Dr. may see a pattern in the seizures and if they happen at certain times of the day/night or certain days of the month.
You may want to have your family Dr. refer you to see an Epileptologist which is a Dr. that specializes in epilepsy or you can see a neurologist. I got a lot more help from an Epileptologist and they were able to pinpoint the cause of my seizures, keep me on the least meds and within time I had surgery to reduce my seizures.
I wish you and your child the best of luck May God Bless the Both of You!

Sue

Back
Top Bottom