New Member-KAM

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KAM

Stalwart
Reaction score
Glad to be part of the group, my story may be long, but a lot has happened. This is my history; at nine months old, I had a fever of 106. I went into a grand mal convulsion that lasted forty-five minutes and it left me paralyzed on the left side of my body for three days, it left scar tissue on the left temporal lobe. When I was young, I often had a sensation of what appeared to be butterflies in my stomach, I now realize they were petit mal seizures. When I was about 16, the complex partial seizures began. In my late twenties the seizures were out of control. I had petit mal, complex partial, and grand mal at this point. I also had severe migraines. I have taken Dilantin, Neurontin, Topamax, Ativan, Tegretol, Lamictal, Depakote, Klonopin, and Phenobarbital to name a few.

In October 1998, I had a left temporal partial lobectomy with cortical remapping. The surgeon was Dr. Howard Landy from the International Center for Epilepsy at Jackson Memorial Hospital in Miami, FL. The surgery took eleven hours and you’re awake through the entire operation. They would touch certain things and you couldn’t talk, hear, or see. You definitely want to be awake during this operation! I have had only one convulsion since surgery (Feb. ’99). In May 2000, I gave birth to fraternal twins, very complicated birth but they are beautiful and healthy, Massachusetts General Hospital follows my kids development for taking Neurontin through pregnancy. After the kids were born, my fever reached 106.9 and I did not have a convulsion! As I was going into the MRI so the doctors could try to see what was wrong, I asked my mother to go to my hospital room and grab six Dilantin and one Topamax. I swallowed the Dilantin, chewed the Topamax and it worked.

In March 2007 I am diagnosed with breast cancer, I went through chemo, had a double mastectomy, they removed eleven lymph nodes on one side, and I’ll start radiation in a couple of weeks. After chemo, my period stopped and it appears that my auras have stopped as well.

Needless to say, my curiosity is now this: Was it the chemo that took care of the seizures or is it the fact that my period is now gone. If you ask me, a hysterectomy would have been much easier than the brain surgery. I did eight chemo treatments the first four were Adrimycin/Cytoxin every two weeks and then the second was Taxol every two weeks. My Dilantin level was measured throughout the process and was between 1 and 5. My normal level was in the mid 20’s which is considered toxic but I have also been as high as 38, from what the ER Staff told me, that was pretty close to needing a transfusion.

During the Taxol treatment they inject you with benadryl, steroids, Zantac and Ativan at an incredible amount because an allergic reaction to Taxol could be deadly. Benadryl, steroids and any antacid is not good for seizures. My backup to Dilantin is Topamax. Whenever I feel the aura coming on I actually bite into a 100 mg tablet and it starts working within ten minutes. If the aura doesn’t subside, I’ll bite off another piece. A pharmacist once saw that I am prescribed 100mg pills to take “as needed” and he said do you know how dangerous this could be? I take Dilantin 300mg/300mg as well, seems no matter what other drug works for the time being, I always end up back at Dilantin.

Is there anyone else that could possibly have a similar situation going on??

Look forward to any feedback. KAM

Welcome to the forum Kam!...

WOW!...what a story!

That's a scary remedy...please keep looking for alternatives to the high levels of AED's 'at once'...it seems to be you are quite the exception to the rule. In other words, most people seem to have to slowly build up levels and/or wean off of levels to avoid causing seizure activity to worsen.

Robin?, Zoe?, anything on connection with chemo and/or hysterectomy?

Again, welcome Kam!
:rock:

:hello: Kam

Welcome to CWE! So sorry you had to undergo
all of this!

:(

Have you consulted with your Doctor(s) for other
alternative(s)? We are not Medical Doctors here
although we do have some members here who are
Medical Doctors.

But as far as any member here undergoing any
similar situation as you are, I don't believe we
do at this point; nor do I know of any members
at the other boards/forums either to my knowledge
who I could have them over here to register and
post and share their experience(s) with you.

However, I do know some members who have
gone through Chemotherapy, but nothing like
what you're going through, as that would be
out of the league.

Will keep you in thoughts and prayers and will
attempt to do some research(es) in the area to
see if I can find any information for you.

Once again, so sorry you had to experience
all of this! ((((((( hugs )))))

Hi Kam -- My goodness !! What an ordeal you've been through and how very strong you seem. Bless your heart and courage.

I bet Zoe can relate to a bit of what you are telling us. If she doesn't come by soon I will give her a *buzz.

Hormones do play a role in seizure activity. You got pregnant, though I have read that it is common for women to have anovulatory cycles and seizure disorders. They are still trying to figure out which came first though. My daughter at 15 was not ovulating or producing progesterone.

How old are your twins now? You are one tough lady.
Glad you joined us, makes me put all of this into perspective when I read the challenges that others have been through.

Hi KAM, welcome to the forum. :hello:

Before the chemo, was your "regular seizure pattern" related to your period? That would be catamenial epilepsy. The seizures are related/triggered by the hormone cycle.

KAM Reply

Thanks for the feedback. My twins are seven; imagine that, twins that fall under the Gemini sign. On the alternatives I did try the vitamins from the Nutritional Healing book, I think I was up to about sixty vitamins/minerals a day and over time it was a bit excessive. I can confirm the high fat diet helps me when auras start.

I was injected with Provera to see if hormones played a part with my condition, it actually made the auras/seizures worse. Unfortunately once you’re injected with Provera, it stays with you for at least a month. I tried many different types of birth control pills as well because they had different hormone levels and types. I basically stopped searching for that answer after six months of trial. What I do know is when I was pregnant with twins; whatever hormones were going through my body was exactly what I needed. I didn’t even have an aura when I was pregnant. I asked my OBGYN if he could replicate the hormone level I had in my body when I was pregnant with any prescription when I wasn’t pregnant and he just laughed.

One thing I just wanted to mention. As my Dilantin levels have occasionally been out of control, this is one thing I learned. If they change you from the brand name Dilantin to the generic Phenytoin at the drug store, don’t think the doctor changed the prescription, question the pharmacist or watch your level carefully. I was getting the sensations of being toxic after the switch which I assumed my doctor ordered so I went to the ER for a level and it was “zero”. They then inject you with Cerebyx and don’t let you leave until the level starts to register.

Appreciate the positive comments on the strength. When I was diagnosed with epilepsy, it was very hard for me accept the condition. The surgical committee said, “Neither the patient nor her sister were aware of several events that were captured. It is, therefore, likely that her present seizure count is under estimation of the severity of her condition.” I asked to watch a recording of one of me grand mal seizures and it left a huge pit in my stomach. At that point it transformed me from denial to acceptance. It also made me aware of what my family has gone through and how thankful you should be that they are there for you. My sister would come and stay with me in Miami during the telemetry for an entire week at a time. The 11th floor at Jackson Memorial was a head trauma floor and when you looked around you really felt like you had no problems.

Before they will operate they make sure you are the right candidate. They make you go through Psychological evaluation and my psych’s overall goal was to help me transform my identity from being someone with a weakness to a person with considerable talent and courage. He himself had MS, was confined to a wheelchair paralyzed from the waist down. If anyone could give you the courage, he could. He said that I was always oriented to opposing or resisting “you can’t or shouldn’t do this or you need to be careful.” He said the style helped me accomplish many things that others with the disability would not have attempted or after trying and finding it difficult would have given up. He also said that my approach didn’t always help with the absolutes of living with epilepsy. He alluded to not getting appropriate rest, not paying close attention to your health when you are exhausted, that I was a workaholic, and to accept what you can and can not accomplish a specific point and time. I must say he was right, but in all honesty, I didn’t always adhere to his suggestions.

As for life, I take it a day at a time and feel you’re only given what you can handle. A majority of the time, I am very sarcastic and try to find humor in everything. Chat with you soon.

Welcome Kam

Very interesting! I think you and I will get along great!
:cheers:

Hi Birdbomb

Hi Birdbomb,

When I saw this on the bottom of your screen:

"If you are going through hell, keep going."
(Sir Winston Churchill, 1874-1965)

Work like you don't need money,
Love like you've never been hurt,
And dance like no one's watching.

I agree, we will get along great!

Question for Brain

Hi Brain,

When you replied with, "However, I do know some Members who have gone through Chemotherapy". Did any of them have to take Tamoxifen? It's an anti-estrogen used to treat and prevent breast cancer. The fact that I have been aura free and hear anything that has to do with hormones makes me cringe. I've had it for a few weeks and am very reluctant to take it. Very curious if you have any info on it from any other epilepsy members. Thanks-KAM

Hi Brain,

When you replied with, "However, I do know some Members who have gone through Chemotherapy".

Ummmm - the other members I know were
males, I don't know of any females who had
underwent Chemo; if they did, I must had
missed the posting.

But the Epilepsy Foundation has eCommunities; and they
have members there - and some of them have
gone through Chemo (in the past or recently),
so it wouldn't hurt to register over there if you
aren't registered there; and post in LIVING WELL
Thread; you might obtain more response from
others; as well as in the WOMEN'S SECTION
too.

Hope this be of further help!

Great, thanks for the info. I am not registered anywhere else but I will take a look at the site.

Hi there!

Greetings KAM! I just want to welcome you to the forum. The people here are awesome! It's so nice to have people who can relate to what we are feeling.
You have been through, & are still going through ALOT, to say the least.
Good to have you with us!
:ridem:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom