New to Epilepsy

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Status
Not open for further replies.

wamf

New
Reaction score
Hi,

My name is Wendy and this is all very new to me. I had my first seizure at the age of 39 and didn't have another for three years. The first happened after taking my son to his little league game. I got out of the car and went down. I hit my head hard on the concrete parking lot. I had a grand mal seizure. Tests were done and nothing was found. I was put on dilantin, but had horrible reactions to it. I went off the Dilantin and was not put on anything else. It was pretty much written off as a one time fluke.

3 years went by, no medication, no obvious seizures...first one gone from memory. The day of my second, i was at work, and thought I caught the light of the flourescent lights in my office the wrong way. My right eye started flickering. It wouldn't go away so I put on my sunglasses. This has happened to me a few times before when I spend alot of time on the computer, so I thought nothing of it. It finally went away and I finished the day of work and started home.

I remember most of the ride home. But, suddenly, I was in my bedroom with the police and paramedics around me. Apparently, I made it to my street, had a seizure and ended up in my neighbors yard where he found me and got my husband. I was completely incoherent and babbling nonsense. I didn't recognize my neighbor or my husband. My husband took me home, changed me (my bladder had completely emptied during the seizure) and called 911. I thought they were all crazy and had no idea what was going on until I was in the hospital.

I am still in the process of all the testing, so I don't really have any answers yet, except that my MRI looked normal, so, thank god, no brain masses. I'm back to work but finding it really difficult. i don't know if it's the medication (Keppra 1,500mg a day) but my emotions are all over the place and I feel almost bi-polar. I'm either racing all over the place or crying. My husband has been taking me to work and to all of my doctor's appointments. My work has been great because i'm the sick one, but it's starting to affect his job because he's gone so much taking me all over the place. Also he feels as if everything is laid on him. It's starting to put alot of strain on our relationship, which makes me hate myself and my situation even more.

The drivers license thing is the worst. I feel as if every bit of my independence is gone and that is something that I have always valued more than anything. I have two kids and I can't even imagine how it's going to be after next week when school and sports and clubs kick in and I can't get them anywhere. I'm sorry that i'm rambling, but i'm scared, confused and so very sad that it scares me even more. Has anyone ever heard of grand mal seizures so far apart? I know that i'm luckier than most because I don't have them all the time, but I just don't feel lucky right now. I just feel really, really sad! Thanks for letting me vent!

Hi welcome to the board. I send you (((((((hugs)))))))))) its harder to adjust as a adult than it was for me as a child. I never drove so I have no idea what it feels like to lose your license. I have always used public transportation. The keppra has a reputation for making ones emotions go nuts , let your dr know whats going on with the keppra. I never got past 1000mgs of keppra because it made me depressed and than eventually gave me keppra rage. Are you keeping a medical journal of how your feeling? This will help you keep track of all thats going on with the meds and side effects.

Wishing you a sz free life
welcome to the board
Riva

Hi Wendy, welcome to the forum. :hello:

I wish I could tell you something that would cheer you up, but unfortunately, epilepsy (or just seizures) can have a big impact on your life routine.

Keppra is known to have a strong affect on people's moods. I've read where folks claim that taking B6 helps minimize the "Keppra rage".

Adversity tests relationships and character. Stacy (my wife) and I have been through periods where she was having grand mal seizures once a week and she was basically a vegetable (seriously - she could not remember anything or speak in complete sentences). Those were really dark times, but we persevered and life goes on. Sometimes life throws these curveballs at you and you have to adjust your whole world-view/perspective on life.

:hello: Wendy!

Glad to have you here. I am one of
those who had unfortunate experience
with Keppra, when my former Epi increased
the dosage and it sent me into a state of
psychosis and experiencing other side
effects. It didn't make me "mad" - but it
made me feel "angry", but I felt more like
frustrated than anything.

But it works for a lot of people, but just
did not work for me! But don't give up hope!
There's other medications out there!

Wendy,

First of all, welcome to the board.

Re: Your drivers licence ~ I know exactly how you feel.

I had my first granmal seizure back in 1979, didn't have another 'til 2002 ~ that's when I lost my licence. It totally felt like all my freedom was gone.
My wife has to do all the driving and it is very taxing on her, especially after working a full day, Now I feel useless.

I was put on dilantin and pheonobarb (not much else out there then).

Over the 28 year span, I've had several tests done(EEG.MRI,CAT Scan ) and although many of the tests came back negative, very often the seizure activity CAN hide deep within the brain and the tests can't always pick it up. But every once in a while it would show up on the tests and that is why my Neurologist put me on the meds. ~ sort of an insurance policy.

This could be why it hasn't shown up for several years. Something must have triggered it.(perhaps the computer screen at work)
Your twiching eye must have been a type of aura or warning that something worse is comming.

So you're not alone.

Randy

You wrote "My right eye started flickering."

Do you mean lights seemed to be flickering? My wife "saw" lots of spots, flashes of lightning, lines or bands of light in her eyes. Also fogginess and other things.

You wrote "Has anyone ever heard of grand mal seizures so far apart?"

My wife had seizures far apart. Two or three years apart between #1 and 2. Then #'s 2, 3, and 4 were in the span of about one year.

My wife's problem includes an endocrine system problem. Finding help is tough!

Check out the current thread on a related website titled:
forum: women and epilepsy title: epilepsy and hormones
http://www.epilepsyfoundation.org/Forums/messageview.cfm?catid=4&threadid=52654&enterthread=y

It may be related, but it probably isn't in the bullseye.

Good luck!

You wrote: "completely incoherent and babbling nonsense"

btw, when my wife was 'coming out of it', she was in a sort of dream state where she talked, played with her hair, didn't make sense or listen to me.

Later

I know exactly how you feel!

My first grand mal seizure was in 1992, 2nd in 2002 and now 3rd 8/2007. I'm 45. It is extremely frustrating having no control and not able to trust your body. The medications can be terribly difficult to handle. It may take awhile to find the right dosage. Since my 3rd, I'm still waiting for the Dr. to decide which course of action to take. After my 2nd I tried several different drugs and after 6mo. and a week in Mayo's was told not to take them. So now after the last seizure, I must decide what to do. Please know that you are not alone!!. Having someone to talk to will help. I'm here!!!
Kim

You wrote: "completely incoherent and babbling nonsense"

btw, when my wife was 'coming out of it', she was in a sort of dream state where she talked, played with her hair, didn't make sense or listen to me.

That's called the post-ictal state. It's normal after seizures.

That's called the post-ictal state. It's normal after seizures.

Bernard's correct in regards to this:
you can ask my Neuro's office
(blush)
or my son
or his friends
or those around me ...

I make no sense
I'm disorientated
I'm confused
Sometimes walk like a drunk
My voice is slurred (or if you call it babbling)
My eyes would rock or shift
I have the urge to sleep
Have headaches
and sometimes having no idea who or what
or where I am.

Hello Wendy,I have never had a driving license, but I can imagine how you feel.

Welcome wamf

Venting is what it's all about here!

My seizure disorder was sudden onset at age 47. I gave up my license and that was the HARDEST thing to adjust to. I have since gotten my licence back. Hang in there, you may get it all back under control!

Hi Wendy ~ I was 46 when all this crap started for me ... and my unhappy husband. (boy, that was a long time ago - lol- 1990)
It sure isn't fun and it's not easy but you will learn things, find better meds, make adjustments and things like that.
Keep talking and asking questions.
We all do and it helps.

Hello Wendy, I know how it feels to not be able to drive. I had to stop driving a few years ago. My husband has to do all the driving now and it is hard on him after working and commuting home.

My daughter was not able to take band once I couldn't drive because I couldn't pick her up after rehearsals. When she wants to see her friends, their moms have to do most of the driving. (sometimes my husband can pick her up after work or on the weekend - but he works lots of weekends) We live in a rural area, and most of her friends do not live close. This Friday she is staying after school with a friend for a football game, then spending the night at her house. My husband will pick her up on Saturday.

Having a mom who doesn't drive (particularly if there is no public transportation and few neighbors) is hard on kids. But mine are at an age where they are realizing how many kids have parents who simply aren't there, or are not exactly the best parents in the world. Sports -etc- aren't as important as having parents who love them and are there for them. And I do and am.

Randy- I know what you mean about feeling useless sometimes.

I can totally understand as my son has the same He make no sense
disorientated, confused Sometimes walk like a drunk when he tries to get up after a seizure (he needs help of course)His voice is slurred (or if you call it babbling)Haven't noticed if his eyes would rock or shift.Has the urge to sleep and does for several hours,
Sometimes has headaches
and sometimes having no idea who or what
or where he is.
Marian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom