New to the Forum

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

conidutka

New
Reaction score
I am very encouraged to find this site. We are raising our 12 year old granddaughter who has had epilepsy since the age of 6. Will definitely be following this forum very closely.

Hi conidukta, welcome to CWE!

Make yourself at home. :)

Hi conidutka,

Welcome to the forum! I've had epilepsy for 46 yrs. and I am still learning new things from everyone here. They have been a great help to me.
When I was 10 I started having absence and complex partial seizures. One thing that helped me a lot is my diet and cutting back on the carbs and starch foods along with staying away from anything with nutra sweet in it. Your daughter is at the age where her hormones may possibly trigger seizures for her. I know when I was her age I had a hard time with hormone changing each month triggering seizures for me but then I found eating nuts the best thing to reduce this type of seizure.
You may want to keep track of your daughters seizures write down what time they happen and the type of seizure she had. Also take note if she is sick or if there's a low pressure in the weather because sometimes that can trigger seizures for some people. Stress and lack of sleep are the 2 main things that can trigger seizures for many people with epilepsy.
You may want to have your daughter see an Epileptologist which is a Dr. that specializes in epilepsy. I saw many different neuros over the yrs but when I saw an Epileptologist they were able to pinpoint the cause of my seizures and put me on the least amount of med to control my seizures. I wish you and your daughter only the best of luck and May God Bless the Both of You!

Sue

Hi Condituka,
Welcome to the forum and hope you are able to find things and people here to help you and your granddaughter. I've had epilepsy since age 12 and I'm 56 now. It has been quite a journey with diagnosis, medications, many doctors, Vagal Nerve Stimulator, and sharing and learning with others. I think the hardest part for me has been not being able to do a professional level job due to the medications and finally getting on disability. I do work a few days a week, if that, at times at a very simple job and it works for me. Jeanne

Hello, & welcome to the forum. The suggestion about keeping track of the time, day, length & type of seizures is very true. I have been doing that since 2009. Unfortunately, my neurologist & I haven't seen any pattern in my seizures.

Back
Top Bottom