Newbie alert !

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love Cats & Dogs & Birds & Horse &
I better stop while I'm ahead!

:D

NOTE TO BERNARD:
Pity Parties? Geesh! That's another
excuse for a Party!
We've gotta come up for a reason
to Party just to Party Hearty!
Where's the BEEFCAKE?
I mean CHEESECAKE!
:woot:

Hi Tee Tee

I read somewhere else that your dog Benji has epilepsy aswell. I was just wondering if the epilepsy affects your dog much. Does he have many seizures & does he have to any type of meds to control the epilepsy.

I used to have a dog Jake who had diabetes. Jake was diagnosed with diabetes in Aug 04 & he went blind in Jan 05 (he could see shadows though). He used to have insulin twice a daily.

Sadly his diabetes started to get out of hand a few months ago and I had to make the hard the decision of having him put down in July this year.
I'd had Jake for 10 1/2 years & most people were surprised that he lasted 3 years with the diabetes.

My parents dog Lilly used to think she was his carer. If we were outside and Jake was starting to go the wrong way Lilly would just nudge Jake and guide him back onto the right track.

Hi Tee Tee

I read somewhere else that your dog Benji has epilepsy aswell. I was just wondering if the epilepsy affects your dog much. Does he have many seizures & does he have to any type of meds to control the epilepsy.

I used to have a dog Jake who had diabetes. Jake was diagnosed with diabetes in Aug 04 & he went blind in Jan 05 (he could see shadows though). He used to have insulin twice a daily.

Sadly his diabetes started to get out of hand a few months ago and I had to make the hard the decision of having him put down in July this year.
I'd had Jake for 10 1/2 years & most people were surprised that he lasted 3 years with the diabetes.

My parents dog Lilly used to think she was his carer. If we were outside and Jake was starting to go the wrong way Lilly would just nudge Jake and guide him back onto the right track.

Hi CQ

Sorry to hear about Jake - that must be one helluva decision to have to make. You're a stronger person than me.

As for Benji : this breed of dog is known for having epilepsy - we had another one before, Sam, and he had epilepsy too. It usually occurs when there's a touch of excitement in the air, such as when you take 'em out on day-trips to the beach. He had one recently when we went on a weekend break - just when we turned up at the campsite.

So, in general it's not a very usual thing to happen with Benji, so he's not on any medication.

When he has a seizure he snorts through his nose like a pig sound, and his body goes all stiff. So you just have to keep smoothing him, and make sure he's okay with his airways, and so on.. They only tend to last approx 20 seconds, but it just seems so wrong to see something so small and tame not really understanding what's happening to him.

TeeTees, Dogtorj is a veterinarian that has had success treating canine epilepsy with diet. You might send him a PM or read his site for more info.

Hi CQ

Sorry to hear about Jake - that must be one helluva decision to have to make. You're a stronger person than me.

Thanks Tee Tee
Jake lived with my parents for the past 8 years because I can't have animals where I live & I was lucky they took really good care of him for me.

We had to go to the vets every 2-3 weeks so we used to let them know how Jake was going. When Jakes health deteriated in late June the vets said maybe it was best to have him put down. It was hard to do but I had always said once the vets adviced us to have Jake put down then I knew it was time because I had never wanted to him to get to the stage where he was in pain.

Hi CQ

As for Benji : this breed of dog is known for having epilepsy - we had another one before, Sam, and he had epilepsy too. It usually occurs when there's a touch of excitement in the air, such as when you take 'em out on day-trips to the beach. He had one recently when we went on a weekend break - just when we turned up at the campsite.

So, in general it's not a very usual thing to happen with Benji, so he's not on any medication.

When he has a seizure he snorts through his nose like a pig sound, and his body goes all stiff. So you just have to keep smoothing him, and make sure he's okay with his airways, and so on.. They only tend to last approx 20 seconds, but it just seems so wrong to see something so small and tame not really understanding what's happening to him.
I agree it is hard seeing your pets have something wrong with them and not understand.

After Benji comes out of a seizure does he have to relax or does he get up and run around again?

I agree it is hard seeing your pets have something wrong with them and not understand.

After Benji comes out of a seizure does he have to relax or does he get up and run around again?

He's as right as rain afterwards....running around, wondering why we're all looking at him.

Sometimes (not often) you can tell he's a li'l tired and we pick him up and carry him around for a short while (like a baby)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom