OK my local supermarket staff are EVIL!!

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Loudmouth

New
Reaction score
Right next to my kids school there is my local supermarket, and as I (obviously) don't drive, I do my shopping each day there so I can get it home on the bus. All week, there has been some dumb-ass photographer in there.

Now I can only afford to go to a different supermarket once a week on a friday as it requires a cab journey. Now there were no warning signs about this and the stand is right at the entrance. The flashing was even very visible outside the shop as it is glass walled. I have NO choice but to walk poast it even as it's the only way to get from the bus stop to the kids school.

So, yesterday morning after dropping the kids off, I went in and complained to the duty manager of the store, pointing out that by law, they needed to put a warning sign up, and put better screens up. Now it might seem like I'm being over fussy, but every time I have either picked the kids up from school or dropped them off, I have had a seizure because of how rapid the flashes are and the fact that you can see them outside.

This afternoon, I had no choice but to go into the store, I had run out of milk and potatoes and flour for my GF bread. When I went in, there was no flashes, so I tried to get round the shop as quick as possible. I got to the checkouts, and lo and behold, there it went again. I ran into the clothes section and had to SHOUT for a member of staff's help as none were nearby.

That member of staff said she couldn't help, so she went off to get a different duty manager. By this point I was feeling VERY woozy, and started to get quite stroppy when the duty manager got to me. I pointed out that I had complained about the photographer 36 hrs beforehand and nothing had been done, and I was unable to even exit the store. Now all this is in breach of the disability discrimination laws here which state that every person, regardless of thier disability, must be granted equal access to any shop, office or place of employment. Which obviously covers a darn supermarket.

I'm sooooo cross with the store, but other than complain to their head office (which I've done by e-mail this afternoon), I can't think of what else to do. I mean, it's even causing me problems getting my kids to and from school. RAAAA!!!

:soap::soap:

sorry for very very long rant, and any advice will be welcomed. If it wasn't the only shop within bus travel distance, I'd go elsewhere but that isn't an everyday option, there's not even a corner shop here.

well, first

see what you get for a reply in the email. Then, I would see what your options are from that. And you might want to consider educating the place, as well as also consider talking to a lawyer, just to know what your rights are for sure....

take the opportunity to talk with the photographer if you can, and explain to him, and maybe he will tell someone, and on and on. I hope we would listen and take necessary action from now on.

I agree with Meetz and matchu. Before proceeding with the store, check to see what their reply is. In the meantime, go talk to the photographer. There's a good chance he didn't realize or wasn't told about the complaint, and he/she may be more then willing to adjust the setup they have.

Back
Top Bottom