[News] Parade Magazine piece about migraines

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Nakamova

Super Moderator / Thank You Queen
Reaction score
This week an article about migraines appeared in a Parade Magazine Health Supplement. Among other things it talks about the long-term effects on the brain of people who have migraines with aura. Since migraines and seizures are closely-related, it bears reading:

http://www.parade.com/health/2009/11/04-unexpected-news-about-migraines.html

The article also mentions how migraines can be caused by environmental and nutritional triggers (and therefore are also potentially preventable). It concludes by saying:

"...a National Headache Foundation study found that more than 43% of sufferers had never used preventive therapy--which, in addition to medication, may include exercising or avoiding trigger foods. If you have migraines, talk with your doctor about starting a treatment and prevention plan."

Substitute "epilepsy" for migraines in that last sentence, and maybe more epilepsy doctors would get the hint... My neurologist has never once mentioned trigger foods or preventive behaviors (other than getting enough sleep), and it would have been so useful to me if she had.

That's a

very good point, Nak. That is also why I PUSH people to self-advocate, and ask tons of questions, as well as keep the E journals. Many doctors DON'T say these things to them, and they really DO need to be said...

I was told by Rebecca's neurologist that "most people would not be willing to do what it takes to prevent them, so that is why medications are used". I got home from that appointment thinking...you don't give people the chance or the knowledge to make those choices.

Back
Top Bottom