[Research] Petit-mal seizures and the self

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

kmorgand

New
Reaction score
Hey folks, I'm a philosophy student starting my senior year at college and am hoping for some help with my thesis. My topic is "Petit-mal Epilepsy and the Self: Empiricism vs. Rationalsim". Basically, am I still myself while having an absence seizure, if my ties to the physical world are removed or dimmed?

If anyone is interested in this, I'm looking for folks to interview for it. The discussion will only be as deep and philosophy-related as you want it to be, as I'm primarily interested in hearing about others' experiences with petit-mal seizures. If you want to get further into the philosophy of the issue, I'm happy with that, too!

Let me know if you're interested, and we can figure out an interview! (You're welcome to post here, too, but I can't technically use it in my paper unless it's a one-on-one interview. It doesn't even need to be face-to-face: IM, skype, phone, facebook, etc. are fine, too.)

Thanks so much!

Cheers,
Kmorgand

Hi kmorgand, welcome to CWE!

I don't get absence seizures (petit-mals) myself, but I would vote for you still being "yourself" during one. In some ways I think we have many selves, including the ones that exist when we aren't fully conscious of external realities. An interesting tangential line of thought can be found in "My Stroke of Insight" by Jill Bolte Taylor. Below is a link to her [very interesting] TED lecture:
http://www.ted.com/talks/jill_bolte_taylor_s_powerful_stroke_of_insight.html

Best,
Nakamova

I have actually seen her talk! I'd forgotten about it, though, so thank you; I can probably use that as a related example. I started reading her book at one point, too, so I'll try to track that down again.

Back
Top Bottom