[News] Pro ball player suffers seizure after head injury

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Cint

VIP
Supporter
Reaction score
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-b...izure-related-last-season-head-165235701.html
Brandon McCarthy suffers seizure related to last season’s head injury

While enjoying dinner with his wife on Monday, Arizona Diamondbacks right-hander Brandon McCarthy suffered a seizure that doctors have linked back to the head injury he sustained when struck in the head by a line drive last September.

The direct blow off the bat of Erick Aybar caused a brain contusion and skull fracture, and McCarthy required emergency surgery to remove bleeding that was causing pressure on his brain. It was a life-threatening situation that McCarthy pulled through physically and put behind him mentally in order to make his remarkable comeback to the mound this season.

But now comes this reminder of just how serious the situation was then, and though doctors warned McCarthy that seizures were possible in wake of his injuries, it also shows how unpredictable injuries to the head and particularly the brain can be.

Soooo sad! I feel for him and his family. :(

I have to say that after my horseback riding accident last summer I had absolutely no idea I was going to end up with epilepsy. At the time, it was just a horrible accident that I, in time, recovered from. Broken bones, torn muscles, cuts, bruises and a lesson learned. But never once did E cross my mind.
Chances are, this young man was hoping for something more than what he got too. I sure wish the best for him.

I read an article about this too. Throughout the piece they never mention "epilepsy", only seizures. I wondered if that was a conscious decision by the ballplayer or his agent to minimize any stigma, or if it was just coincidental. In what I read, Aybar said he expected to be on anti-seizure medication for the rest of his life.

I wondered about the same thing, Nak. With him being a pro baseball player, they will probably never mention "epilepsy", only seizures.

Back
Top Bottom