Question

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

ekuadam

New
Reaction score
So I enjoy going to concerts a lot with my friends. Mainly loud rock/heavy metal concerts. Just wondering if anyone out there with epilepsy has had issues since you began having seizures or have been on medication. I had a seizure about 6 years ago, but have been to MANY concerts since then. With the two i have had recently though it has got me thinking that maybe I should stay out of that environment (small clubs). maybe I am just over analyzing things/worrying too much.

Hi ekuadam, if your seizures are that far and few between, you are worrying way too much!

you are worrying too much. i went to a concert recently and had no problems at all. you'll be fine

I went and saw Slipknot once... (Thinking back, I don't know why. I'm not even a fan...)
The show was decent, but their strobe lights threw me for a loop. Didn't seize, but was extremely disoriented and felt like I could go into one.

Went to a Tool concert. No problems there. Biggest problem there was actually some guy dropping his beer on the person next to me... haha :p

Oh, and I saw Weird Al in concert. No problems there either, other than the crowd which honestly had me... well... freaked out. ;)

I'm not much of a concert person though, so going to shows is pretty rare for me.

I'm with silat on the lights, they can send me into seizures so i avoid concerts clubs, cops, and led's signs at the malls at even some tv shows/commericals it can be that bad it really depends on how bad it is for you.
mike

Agreed with the lights, they give me headaches as well, other than that you are worrying too much. I am the queen of over-thinking; it's hard not to sometimes. But there does not seem to be a consistent pattern so I believe there is no connection. You clearly love going to concerts, so do not taint that passion with your worry.

I go to alot of concerts. Most of them are rock concerts with loud music and alot of lighting. I was a little worried at first because I wasn't sure what the strobe lighting would do but it has never bothered me.

I think if it hasn't bothered you in 6 years of going to concerts then you should be ok with it.

Oh boy!!

I've been to 150+ rock concerts. I've always been fine even though I sometimes overindulged in beer or mj. :p

But last summer I went to the Sublime/311 concert and had a hard time. I ended up in the middle of the mens room line and took off embarrassed when I realized what happened. I then got scared because I didn't know where I was and sat down on a curb. This is a VERY familiar outdoor venue that I've visited many times over the last 30 yrs. I eventually got my barings and went back to my seat. It was very strange!!!

My hearing also has never been the same since that show. We were close to the stage and by some very big speakers.

(disclaimer- I was buzzed at this show too, but the occurances were highly (lol) unusual for me)

I have been to a ton of concerts and have been fine. I once got stuck next to the strobb light for 2.5 hours. It was annoying as hell!, but no siezures.

Did they do the "light flashy thing test" (very techinal term :) ) If you made it through that, I wouldn't worry about.

Go have a great time!!

My only worry is mosh pits but they've been destroyed over the years.

Earlier this year, 3 days after my dx, I went to soundwave (Aussie metal / hard rock / punk festival). I found that overwhelming and intense. I did not enjoy my day.

2 nights later I saw Devin Townsend in a smallish venue. I stayed up the back where I could move, breathe and see. As long as I didn't look directly at the lights I was fine. My only problem now is I tire easily. Had a great night though. Heavy Devi is the God of metal in my opinion.

I take a lorazepam before I go out around people concerts, dancing.Because I am really sensitive to sight and sound.Or just leave. I love a good concert. But you know.

Back
Top Bottom