[Info] Random pertaining to the NFL

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

finalpoet

Stalwart
Reaction score
This is a very random question. But has anyone ever watched a game, maybe not NFL, and just thought "what would they do if a player started seizing?" I mean like the cameras, players. Would it just turn black? Am I alone?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

They might cut away after the initial shot, the way they do with [some] especially gruesome injuries. Perhaps go to a commercial or a replay? Or maybe the players and trainers would shield the person from camera view.

On the other hand: Just yesterday in one of the NFl games, the quarterback (Tom Savage, Houston Texans) was hit hard and then showed classic signs of a concussion: he stayed on the ground, his arms were up in a defensive posture and they were shaking. He was taken out and theoretically given the concussion protocol, but then shockingly he was put back in for several more plays before finally being pulled. His team/the NFL/the doc that allowed him back in the game should be ashamed, and they should be sued for criminal negligence. Not only were the signs of concussion obvious, but this same quarterback had suffered a concussion in his previous game. The team should have been extra-alert for any issues, and should have taken him out of the game immediately when he was so obviously concussed yesterday.

Even though the cameras showed the replay, it at least serves as evidence of the concussion and the team's response.

Last edited:
They might cut away after the initial shot, the way they do with [some] especially gruesome injuries. Perhaps go to a commercial or a replay? Or maybe the players and trainers would shield the person from camera view.

On the other hand: Just yesterday in one of the NFl games, the quarterback (Tom Savage, Houston Texans) was hit hard and then showed classic signs of a concussion: he stayed on the ground, his arms were up in a defensive posture and they were shaking. He was taken out and theoretically given the concussion protocol, but then shockingly he was put back in for several more plays before finally being pulled. His team/the NFL/the doc that allowed him back in the game should be ashamed, and they should be sued for criminal negligence. Not only were the signs of concussion obvious, but this same quarterback had suffered a concussion in his previous game. The team should have been extra-alert for any issues, and should have taken him out of the game immediately when he was so obviously concussed yesterday.

Even though the cameras showed the replay, it at least serves as evidence of the concussion and the team's response.
Yeah, that makes sense. I didn't watch that game, but I believe it, they constantly send player back in after they shouldn't. I shouldn't be a fan, but I am.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I've had a seizure during one of my hockey matches, the match was stopped for about 15 minutes whilst I had the seizure and recovered from it. The running joke with my team from now on is that we carry a martini shaker on the bench so they can put me to use should it happen again.

Hi finalpoet,

I've never seen a professional football player have a seizure during a game but I do know that Alan Faneca who played for 13 yrs. had epilepsy since he was around 14 yrs. old and he played for the NY Jets, Pittsburg Steelers and Arizonia Cardinals and his seizures were never seen on camera. Wishing you the Best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom