Seizure after 32 free years!!!

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

albenelu

New
Reaction score
Hello to all!
Here I am back into the Epilepsy community.52 year old, female, teacher, mom of 3 For me, Epilepsy was a thing of the past: two (possibly 3) partial to generalized seizure when I was 20, which i had (foolishly) attributed to my rather unhealthy student lifestyle. Did not take the meds prescribed because of side effects.
Now at 52, on a beautiful morning, all relaxed, well rested, well fed, BOUM, tonic-clonic seizure with no warning whatsoever. Huge shock. Driver's licence immediately suspended, yikes, and still trying to get a neuro appointment, huge wait list here in Toronto Canada.
Well, I am thankful for these 32 healthy years but terrified about what is next and the unpredictability of this nasty disease. Trying to stay positive and optimistic!
Cheers and thanks for reading!

Hi albenelu,

I'm so sorry to hear that your seizures came back after all these yrs. Often what can happen is when a woman goes through her change it can sometimes either trigger seizures or decrease them according to my Epileptologist. I'm going to be 56 in a couple of weeks and my seizures decreased when I went through my change a lot of it has to do with hormones changing.
Just like you I work in public school as a teacher aide in central NY. I've never had my license and I've had seizures for 46 yrs. including 2 brain surgeries to help reduce my seizures. What has really helped me is the cbd oil (medical marijuana) and taking 2 Tablespoons of apple cider vinegar with mother in it. Come to find out the mother has a good protein that has helped stop many of my seizures. If you want give it a try just be sure to check with your pharmacist to make sure it won't bother any meds you are on. I wish you the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue

Thanks Sue much appreciated. I will look into the med marijuana and the apple cider mother. I am going back to work tomorrow (missed the first week of school because of seizure). A bit nervous. What if it happens there? I badly need that job (solo mom), so there is no choice but hanging in there. This epilepsy is a scary beast.
Best of luck to you too!

Hi albenenlu

Welcome to the forum and sorry to hear about the sudden seizure after going so long seizure free.

My story is similar in a way as I had my 1st seizure when I was 9 months old then took tonic clonics until I was 3.
I then went 21 years seizure free until they returned when in 2002 when I was 24. No reason, I don't drink, smoke go out and hadn't changed my lifestyle so just one of those things.

After the seizures returned I mainly took simple/complex partials and the odd tonic clonic. My old neuro tried me on a Combination of meds but none controlled the partials so in 2011 I had surgery to remove scarring on left temporal lobe.

I was 2 years seizure free but then I started having partials again in 2013 not long after we took me of one of the 2 meds I was on. I've had to adjust my meds a bit over the years but even though I still take seizures they arent as often or as strong as pre surgery.

Good luck with everything, hopefully that seizure was a once off and it won't be too long to see the neuro

Last edited:
Hi albenenlu,

I've had many seizures at work in front of students and staff. What I have learned is to be open about my seizures I have told the students and staff all about my epilepsy and each yr. I teach students what to do if a person has a seizure.
If for some reason you did have a seizure in the classroom depending on how you feel you should either go home and get a sub to cover for you or stay at work. I was forced to go home once and 4 co workers told me to find another job but I called my local epilepsy support group and the next day a lawyer was at the school and to my surprise all 3 co workers were fired and the 4th one transferred to a different school. If I may ask did you put on your job application that you had epilepsy? I did because that way I know they can't come after me and they saw I already had seizures. If you should ever have any problems get ahold of your epilepsy foundation in your area and also get a note from your Dr. stating that you are able to perform your job and the seizures won't stop you.
I wish you the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue

I work in administration, currently I work as a receptionist/administration assistant for a cabinet maker. Like Porkette I’ve always been open about my epilepsy, with my current job I got the job through a disability employment agency so my boss was aware of my epilepsy when he met me.

Usually most of my seizures are at home but I’ve had a few partial seizures at my current job mainly due to stress and I think out of all the seizures only 1 or 2 have been witnessed but co worker has seen me after I had seizure and realised something was up.
I was full time but found the full time was too much and my seizures had increased so recently reduced my hours to part time to 3 days a week. I found I’m not as stressed and the seizures have reduced but I still get tired.

Hey albenelu, welcome to CWE!

Well that sucks! We all hope for our seizures to go away forever, and can be a special kind of shock when they strike after a looooong break. Frustrating to lose your license, but a relief that you didn't have the seizure while driving.

As Sue suggests, a possible factor in your seizure might be age-related hormonal changes. Estrogen spikes can be a seizure trigger (called "catamenial epilepsy"). Even though estrogen levels are decreasing during perimenopause and menopause, it can still be triggering because the hormone that counterbalances it -- progesterone -- is also decreasing but not always at the same rate.

Here's hoping this "return" seizure is just a fluke, and that you get get back on track quickly. While waiting to see the neuro, you can try some of Sue's suggestions. And you might also look into an anti-estrogenic diet. https://www.livestrong.com/article/234882-anti-estrogenic-diet/

best of luck!
Nak

Hi albenelu, welcome to the forum. :hello:

32 years seizure free with no meds sounds pretty awesome. I hope like others have said this is a temporary thing related to age/hormones.

Thanks to all for your thoughtful comments and best wishes. Yes, it might be hormone related as I have had these very sudden hot flashes (never before) and menstruations have suddenly stopped.
Holding on to my job is of course a huge concern (I am a solo mom).

Hi albenelu,

I have a feeling the hot flashes and hormone changes are what may have triggered the seizure. Don't worry about holding onto your job the school can not let you go because of your seizures that's against the law. Also if for some reason they give you a hard time report them to a lawyer and take my word you will have a good case of discrimination against the school. You haven't let your seizures stop you in the past so don't let them stop you now. I wish you only the best and May God Bless You!

Sue

Thanks Porkette/Sue for your kind words. We have a pretty strong teacher's union here and I will check with them. I understand that they have to provide me for 'accommodations' so that I can do my job, just like we do with spec ed kids. Cross finger no seizure ever happens at school.

Hi albenelu,

One thing that worked really good for me is using natural progesterone cream you can buy it in natural food stores. It has nuts and wild yams in it and you put it on your skin once or twice a day the natural progesterone helps reduce the seizures. Another thing I did was eat nuts low in salt they have progesterone oil in them and they are high in fat which helped my seizures a lot. The other thing I did was put coconut oil on my skin once a day this will build ketones up in your body to help reduce the seizures. I wish you only the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue

Thanks Sue for your suggestions.
I am trying to eat as close to keto as possible! Tonight's menu: salmon and avocado, and maybe a little coconut oil on the salmon!

That the nature of the beast.Try not be disheartened easy said I know feel like sord of Damacles.The driving thing ,will you be able call few favours in and get lift to work.THIS is when you find out who friends are

Back
Top Bottom