Side effect severity?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Heavy Kevy

Stalwart
Reaction score
One new symptom I’ve been experiencing is a cold sweat in the morning. I’ve also been waking up with a light sweat when sleeping. I’ve been able to fall back asleep usually.
This new symptom started when I was prescribed Zonisamide. So it very well could be a side effect.
The Zonisamide possibly helped for a few months I was sleeping 10 hours a day though. Looking back at my seizure diary I usually do well those months too. There’s a good chance it has slightly decreased the frequency.
I’m less than a month from my intracranial surgery.
I’m debating asking the doctor if I could stop taking it. Keeping post-surgery in mind as well.
Any thoughts?

Cold/night sweats could be symptoms of sleep apnea. However, Zonisamide is supposed to reduce sleep apnea:

Night sweats are not listed as a known side effect of Zonisamide:

Info on night sweats:

Fighting some insomnia. I’ve got an appointment with my doctor. I’d like to blame the Zonisamide. Never helped anyway.
Might ask for a lower dose.

Hi Heavy Kevy,

I was told to start taking Folic Acid 1 mg. a day to fight of insomnia and it has helped me a lot. Make sure
you are cutting back on caffeine beverages. I was told not to drink any caffeine after 5 pm and eat only fruit
any time past 7 pm.
I wish you the best of luck and May God Bless You,

Sue

I wonder if folic acid has lessened my side effects (or prevented some possible ones). I've been taking 1mg folic acid/day for approximately 30 years now, if not longer. During my pregnancies, the dosage was reduced to 4mg/day.

My doctor agreed but wasn’t thrilled about changing anything.
We’re starting with trying melatonin. Then a sleep pill (trazadone). If neither work we’ll try lowering the zonisamide dosage.

Med changes sure can be fun. I still remember when Keppra came out, & my neuro at that time put me on it. I began having such severe stomach cramps that I was doubled over in pain. Or when my neuro tried to add a low dose of Lamictil as a third AED to help with the breakthroughs. Within a few days, I felt the same type of rash starting to break out (in a milder form) across my back as Tegretol had caused. Apparently, both of those drugs are chemically related, so in some ways it isn't surprising.

Back
Top Bottom