Sneezes and seizures - separated at birth

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

LJ-Bain

New
Reaction score
Have you ever noticed the similarities betweens sneezes and seizures?

You can have a sneezing "fit".
Sneezes can cluster.
It can feel like one is coming but then it never does.
You can have big sneezes.
You can have little sneezes.
If you have a really big sneeze you can pee your pants.
Or how about sneeze spray and seizure drool? You get wet both ways.
Sometimes after a sneeze you're glad that it's out of your system because the lead up was torture.
If you sneeze too much with a cold you're flat out in bed because you feel awful with aches and pains and a headache.
A sneeze that surprises you and comes out of nowhere.

Can anybody else think of other similarities? Or am I just reaching?

Now if only people would say "Bless you" to you as regularly after a seizure as they do sneezes.
I'd even settle for a gesundheit!

Interesting fact...people say bless you because a loooooooong time ago there was a belief that sneezing was a way of getting evil spirits out of your system.

Sneezes can be triggered by photosensitivity. For some folks (myself included) looking almost directly into the sun can cause sneezing, because the "sneezing nerves" are located right next to the squinting ones, and can get triggered by mistake.

Interesting. I did not know that. So maybe sneezing and squinting were separated at birth. I'll have to experiment the next sunny day we have. Eating a mint always makes me sneeze.

Can anybody else think of other similarities? Or am I just reaching?
Interesting fact...people say bless you because a loooooooong time ago there was a belief that sneezing was a way of getting evil spirits out of your system.

I don't know that I would have thought so, but now that I read what you and Nak have said I can totally see it, you're not reaching at all. Pretty smart of ya to think of this! Esp. the evil spirit fact... interesting.

I sneeze regularly due to mild sinusitis, which (!#@*!@@!!) developed after starting topamax. Damn meds. Used to go through a box of kleenex every few days; now I'm off of it and don't buy a box that often.

I can't think of any other similarities right now so I'll just ditto yours about the agony leading up to one... SO RIGHT. Stings like an sob, and simple partials are equally agonizing just in a different way.
Smart!

I thought the sneezing due to sunlight was because its your brain/body's way of protecting your eyes/retinas. The brain recognizes there is a dangerous amount of light, so it makes your force your eyes shut...by sneezing. because you cant sneeze with your eyes open.

I don't think they totally understand it: Wikipedia actually suggests a few different explanations:
The probable cause is a congenital malfunction in nerve signals in the trigeminal nerve nuclei. The fifth cranial nerve, called the trigeminal nerve, is apparently responsible for sneezes. Research suggests that some people have an association between this nerve and the nerve that transmits visual impulses to the brain. Overstimulation of the optic nerve triggers the trigeminal nerve, and this causes the photic sneeze reflex.
On the other hand, some people with the trait feel that it is advantageous. In the event that nasal discomfort occurs, but to an extent that is insufficient to induce a sneeze, intentionally seeking and finding a light source, or creating a mental image of a bright light source such as the sun, facilitates the sneezing process and is in turn a mode of relief.
This sneeze reflex can also be brought on by sudden inhalation of cold air or exposure to strong scents or flavors. This related phenomenon implies an overstimulation of any nerve close to the trigeminal nerve can cause the sneeze reflex.

I usually try to stay away from Wikipedia just due to uncertain clarity, but those answers sound pretty strong.
When my bf feels a sneeze coming on he immediately looks up to the sun or just out a window to daylight and voila! every time it works to bring it on and he's good.
Myself I can relate to the cold air and strong scents bit; cold air seems to burn and bring it on and strong scents are pretty powerful too.

I stop myself from sneezing by rubbing the roof of my mouth with my tongue.
It was a trick that I learned about that people used who were hiding from Nazi's during WW2. It totally works. But now I know another thing to try during a sunny day! I'll have to test that one out. I learn something new every day...especially here!

That mad me laugh so hard about peed myself. Thanks! I needed that.

Sneezes can be triggered by photosensitivity. For some folks (myself included) looking almost directly into the sun can cause sneezing, because the "sneezing nerves" are located right next to the squinting ones, and can get triggered by mistake.

I actually did know that. If I feel like I have to sneeze but I can't, I'll look at a light and then I'll sneeze.
I actually kind of like sneezing. lol. As long as it's not too many times in a row.

Back
Top Bottom