Stop the Mother's Act

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

RobinN

Super Mom
Reaction score
(NaturalNews) Big Pharma is pushing hard for passage of The Mothers Act, a bill that would require all pregnant women to be "screened" for depression and then drugged with patented antidepressant drugs. The bill is being reintroduced by Sen. Harry Reid, who is reportedly attempting to include it in a legislative package called the "Coburn Omnibus Bill."

Antidepressants are linked to violent thoughts and suicidal behavior in expectant mothers and new moms. Rather than treating the root cause of maternal depression -- nutritional deficiencies -- the medical industry wants to put expectant mothers on dangerous psychotropic drugs that may impact the health of their newborns.

http://www.naturalnews.com/024254.html

Perhaps the

authors of this bill need to have THEIR heads examined??? *EYEROLL*:pfft: this is ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTING. How can...no, never mind. Don't get me started.....OY. :paperbag:

More $$ for the pharmaceuticals. :(( And how is Sen. Reid profiting from this bill?

This is ludicrous! How could those in the medical industry want to put an expectant mother on a psychotropic drug, knowing the dangers? Oh yes, the mighty $$.

Cindy

Can anyone think of a medication forced on to the general public besides vaccinations and we all know the issues with that?

Sounds like Dirty Harry Reid is burying stuff in big bills again. Typical.

FYI for those outside the US. Our congress stuffs all kinds of unrelated issues into big legislation and most of them don't even know what all is included in the legislation.
:soap:

pbs

just had this Dr. Allen guy (during its pledge drive) say that excersize , proper nuitrition, rest, and supplements (his) was the same as Zoloft after 4 weeks, and was better after 12. (or something like that)
Pills are supposed to be the quick fix. The cure all. The great panacea that is the cure of all cures. (for your wallet)

Frankly, it seems that most of the worst bills that come up get passed. It's basically useless to protest unless you can get the vast majority of people to make such a fuss over it they can't ignore you.

The huge shame is this will effect more folks on medicare and medicade than those with private insurance.

What the heck is wrong with the world these days??

joan*

Wow

I guess we can just start calling Senator Reid Dirty Harry after all huh! Just tell me where to sign any and all opposition petitions and I will definitely start signing! I have a daughter getting married in July and a daughter-in-law considering another pregnancy in a couple of years, not to mention 2 other sons who will marry in a few years and two nieces who will start families in a few years. I really don't want to see any of them have to go thru pregnancies on government enforced antidepressant meds. I have enough trouble getting my own health problems managed without the government trying to work with drug companies to create a new generation of drug dependant babies. :soap: Ugh!!!!!!!!! Please just let me know where to sign....
Sorry folks, I'm stepping down from my box now, but I really get upset when innocents are involved.
Thanks - Cindy

Gee ....

:ponder:

I wonder how many moms have survived
all these years since the "Dinosaur Days"

:?: :?: :?:

easy way around the "new law" fake being happy.

Sounds simplistic, but I'm one who suffered post-partem depression/anxiety after 3 of my 5 live births. I used paxil after one and zoloft after another. Then I got off the drugs---one because I was preggers again and another I got all better. I still have anxiety probs from time to time. When I'm under an anxiety time, I can put on a happy front when I need to on occasion.

Frankly nobody can force you to take the meds. Oh they may prescribe them but they cannot force you to comply. Just like they can't force some of the prenatal screening tests. Can't do it. Shoot they can't even force meds on truly mentally ill people--schizophrenia or bi-polar-- unless and until they show they are a danger to themselves or to others. That is really not an easy task either.

The bill is not enforceable.

I sent a birthday card to my son in law from the Honolulu airport post office. He lives in San Francisco proper. It took two weeks to arrive....Where did it stop off?? Harry Reid giving medical anything frightens me:pfft: Would Vincent Van Gough have been able to paint with such beauty if he was happy and well adjusted and no health issues?:paperbag:

Two great comments above.

Sixpack - You are very right on the unenforcable comment. Do they think they are going to force feed these to people? I will avoid my comments about our senate.

Paradise - What a great perspective!! Who is the judge of "Happy"? Where does it state that we have to be happy. The Constitution only says "pursuit of happiness" as a right, not an obligation. Does a great big smile equate happiness?

:soap:

HR20-New Mother's Mandated Mental Health Test-JUST PASSED HOUSE!

A sweeping government policy for all new births in the United States has just passed the House of Representatives and is now headed to the Senate. The Mother’s Act, if passed, will mandate that all new mothers be screened by means of a list of subjective questions that will determine if each mother is mentally fit to take their newborn home from the hospital. Just imagine that after your child is born, you are told that you can’t take them home since a multiple choice questionnaire wasn’t answered correctly. Just imagine being told that the only way you can take your child home is if you or your spouse goes into treatment or on anti-depressants which we know causes psychosis, delusions, and even homicidal thoughts. It just doesn’t make sense. Unfortunately, this bill is on a fast track–No public debate, no public disclosure of the broad impact on our society and that is why we need you to act now!

The Mother’s Act violates our Constitutional right to privacy and your right to liberty and it is just outright dangerous. That is why we need you to help stop this. We urgently need you to call and email each Senator on the HELP Committee and tell them you STRONGLY OPPOSE the MOTHER’S ACT and that you are OUTRAGED that there was NO public debate or disclosure on the impact this would have on our society as a whole.

http://blogs.healthfreedomalliance....andated-mental-health-test-just-passed-house/

How disgusting....I'm pregnant right now...and I find that fact that the federal govt, who knows nothing about my life, my history, or my personality, thinks that its expert enough to decide whether I'll need anti-depressants. They can prescribe whatever they want...I won't take it. They can't force me to. But then again, what else do you expect from a country that takes DNA samples of 4 million newbors every year and then keeps them in cold storage instead of destroying them.

Back
Top Bottom