Stress and side affects from the meds

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

RanMan

Too Much Experience with Epilepsy
Reaction score
I felt I had to add my story.

I've had Ulcerative Colitis (very similar to CD) and Epilepsy since 1979.
Both conditions are stress related (in my case).
I've had everything under managable control until 6 yrs ago, my 12 year old son was diagnosed with bi-polar (manic depression) and has been puting this family through hell.

Then my petit-mal siezures became more frequent(almost daily) from the added stress in the household.
Then my UC flare-ups started to be more frequent as well and more severe. As a result I had to increase my UC meds, and since this effected the metabolic rate of my epilepsy medication, it has to be increased to the point where I am a walking zombie and afraid to go out for fear that everyone would think I was a drunk. This shows me that there are still so many people that are still uneducated about this topic.
Some people still think that if you have epilepsy, you're possessed by satin.

This effected my social life big time and causes depression.
It even effected my personal life.
My own family was embarrassed to be seen with me. I just had to learn to deal with it.

In a lot of cases stress is a major trigger for epilepsy, CD and ulcerative colitis, if that flares up then you will have to increase your meds and that can throw everything out of wack.
I thought I was living a fairly normal life but it must be worse than I thought as my employer of 29 years has put me on medical retirement and I'm only 48 yrs old.

Randy (Ontario, Canada)

Sorry to hear about your story RanMan and I know where you're coming from. Stress seems to be a common factor of causing seizures so bearing this in mind, try and find something to destress yourself e.g. exercise as this should potentially reduce your seizure threshold and it works for me.

Rachell,
I have reduced my stress level. My employer of 30 yrs. MADE me take Medical Retirement back in April/04. The meds were really messing up my co-ordination, deterity, speech, and my ability to perform my job.
I was in a very stressful job as a Administration Manager for the Government of Canada for the last 21 yrs of my 30.

As you know, stress effect everybody differently and this is what the long term stress did to me. It got worse as I got older even though I was a full time member of the local gym.

My friends and neighbors have noticed the change since I stopped working and have even commented about it to me. (seem more secure on my feet, better balance, better speech etc)

Randy

Sorry to hear about your story.

Have you always been on 4 medications and has your consultant tried to see if there is a drug combination which wouldn't make you feel so bad?

I know where you are coming from about the work. I nearly screwed up my career because of the drugs I was taking. My consultant put me on Tegeratol Retard just before my GCSE's (complusory exams at the age of 16 in th UK) which I got thought ok but failed the first year of the A Level (next stage up) and was heavily sedated and was told my drugs were not suitable for someone doing exams. I was then put on Keppra, but am still having a rough ride as I am still getting the speech and memory problems and since my GCSE's I've not been able to pass my exams.

Rachell,
Don't forget, I also have ulcerative colitis and the dilantin and pheonobarb are the two drugs that work the best with my UC meds while totally controlling my seizures and also without causing any flare-ups with my UC.
Besides that, my neurologist advised me that if I were to change meds now after this long term use, I would run the risk of more seizures and possibility of lower brain stem damage.
The way I look at it, I'm not having any real problems other than coping with the side effects of the meds and my seizures are under control.
"If it's not broke, don't fix it".

Randy

Did you know that Celexa should be taken with extreme caution by anyone with a seizure disorder? It's a common problem with all of the chemical antidepressants.

Lindy,
That's very interesting, where did you hear that?

I suggested to my Neuro about the possibility of going on a mood stabilizer such as Celexa, He said although there are MINOR side effects, give it a try in a small dose and see how it reacts. I've had no probs.

Randy

When my doctor was on a kick about having me take an antidepressant, I looked them all up in Physicians Desk Reference (the doctors' drug bible). There isn't even one that isn't either contraindicated for someone with epilepsy or isn't labelled for use only with caution. Most doctors don't seem to realise the harm that these drugs can do us and I look up everything that is prescribed for me before I fill the prescription to make sure that I can take it.

Just about every med out there contridicts with AED's is seems. I use Drug Digest http://www.drugdigest.org/DD/Home

They have a neat program to check for drug interactions. :punch:

So many medications can cause more of the same type of problem you are seeking to fix. ie..AED's cause more seizures, antidepressants, suididal thoughts

It's all a crap shoot, just have to try to see what works for you. I know that the Welbutrin ads on TV here in the US state their disclaimers and the list is rather long. The one that sticks in my mind is that it does cause seizures. :taz:

Damned if you do, damned if you don't! :gob:

Just read you info and be aware of the side effects.

Right now I am taking Indocin for a gout attack and one side effect is breathing problems. I have severe OSA (obstructive sleep apnea) the first dose I took made me breathless. But I have been in horrible pain for a week and my foot just can't be touched by anything, even water from the shower! I am willing to take the risk because this medication is working. The side effect is ebbing. :giveup:

Hi Rainmain

Hi Rainman: I use acupuncture to help me with my side effects. Have you ever thought of trying that with exercise and diet. You can go to an acupuncture school , or call the acupuncture assoc in your province for a reference. LOL I wouldn't have kidneys or a liver without acupuncture or a working intestine. When I lived in Montreal I called the acupuncture association and got a wonderful acupuncturist.

As for celexa and seizures ,in all their commercials say if you have a seizure problem or stomach problems you shouldn't take celexa. These are the American commercials as I now living in Portland Or.

Wishing you the best of health
Positive Person

Thanx for all the warnings about using CELEXA with my AED's.
It did tend to make me feel more unsteady and made my gait worse than usual.

I've since stopped using CELEXA and I have noticed a big differance (positive) in the way I feel. It was just an experiment anyways and my Doctor was against it but agreed with me to try it and see how my body reacts to it.

I must say that I feel much better now.

Randy

Back
Top Bottom