Stupid EMTs

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can understand that but there is nothing to be ashamed of. Tina always told people that she had Epilepsy. Unfortunately, she would also tell perspective employers. I'm sure that is why she never could get a job. Nicole also is not ashamed. We spoke to our county board regarding funds tonight and Nicole got up and said her name and that she has seizures. I know that she is still too young to understand that some people will turn away from her because of this. Hopefully with me working to raise awareness, she won't ever have to hide the fact that she has seizures.

I guess I didn't say that correctly. She does say that she has seizures, and yet she wants to forget about it when she is going about her daily life. She is almost 16 and just wants to fit in. Hard to do when you are falling on the floor in the middle of algebra class, or out in the lunch quad.

She wore a purple ribbon to school today, for Epilepsy Awareness Month.
I am trying to put together a little flier for her to pass out when people ask her what it is about. Do you have any ideas?

I know that she is still too young to understand that some people will turn away from her because of this.

While true, being open and honest has the silver lining that those who do not turn away are the ones who are really worth keeping in one's ciricle of acquaintences.

Consider it as a filter of the small minded or immature.

Also knowing that a few around her can be helpful is comforting.

When I first found out I had epilpsy, my mom told me not to tell anybody. When I asked her why, she said people would treat me like I had some horrible desease.
Most people I told didn't even know what it was.

But I finally found out what my mom was talking about 5yrs ago. I applied for a job, got it, on my first day I let my boss and supervisor know I had epilpsy. The look on their faces... I felt as though I had lepresy ... I was at that job for only 4 mns. The tension within the office, the way they treated me. I had 7 seizures during that time just from the stress. I hope I never experience that again in my life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom