Sudden exhaustion

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Hey so I'm new to this site. I found out a year ago that I have epilepsy and I'm pretty much figuring myself out all over again. I have sooo many questions but I'll just start with this for right now. I got these sudden bursts of extreme exhaustion like I took a benadryl or something multiple times throughout the day. It goes away, and sometimes it comes back. It happens no matter where I'm at. My eyes get so heavy where I can't keep them open. It's like I haven't slept in weeks everyday :'(

I would suspect this could be medication-related (assuming you are on epilepsy medications). I sometimes have this as well, where I can suddenly be exhausted one day despite no seizure. Just be really sure you are getting adequate sleep and sticking with a regular sleep schedule, are taking your medication on a consistent schedule, getting adequate as well as healthy nutrition and hydration, and exercising. I have found that when I am tired like this that drinking a glass of cold water and going for a walk or doing a session of quick body weight exercises can perk me up.

Hi lunarsolar, welcome to CWE!

I agree with masterjen, your medication may be the culprit. Make a note of it and ask your neurologist about it the next time you see him/her. It's possible that your medication dosing schedule could be tweaked in some way to minimize the daytime sleepiness. Are your seizures currently controlled?

Best,
Nakamova

Do these episodes go away as suddenly as they appear? Or is it like just getting super sleepy, which just eventually goes away? I sometimes get episodes like that before getting myoclonic seizures, if they are particularly bad seizures, so I wonder if you notice any kind of twitching or other signs of seizure activity following them. My episodes like that come on very suddenly, and I have difficulty walking a straight line during it--then I have myoclonic seizure, and then I'm perfectly fine afterwards (not sleepy anymore). It's part of the seizure. I don't get those anymore now that my myos no longer are occur during the day.

Hello, and thank you! I haven't had a grand mal which is good. But I do have partial seizures and migraines constantly.

No they last for a little while. I get super dizzy like I'm gonna faint or something. I definitely can't walk in a straight line. And after a little awhile I'm fine. I feel awake.

But no clear seizure like event that happens before you feel better? May well be just a med side effect like the other knowledgable ladies suggested. Mine are very distinct--fine, severely tired (almost falling asleep), jerking seizure, awake and fine--all in a few minutes, so sounds like a different phenomenon. Either way, sounds like a good thing to mention to your doctor.

I was on one med that I was so tired I didn't want to get out of bed for anything, even go to the bathroom. My parents had to force me to eat because all I wanted to do was sleep, I didn't care about doing anything else. When I told my neuro about this he figured out which med it was that was causing this and took me off of it. After that I was fine and slept like a normal person again.

Hello, and thank you! I haven't had a grand mal which is good. But I do have partial seizures and migraines constantly.

After almost all of my complex partial seizures I am very tired, I'll be pretty tired the next day too, and will have horrible migraines that last for hours.

No they last for a little while. I get super dizzy like I'm gonna faint or something. I definitely can't walk in a straight line. And after a little awhile I'm fine. I feel awake.

When you have this problem are you seeing double? I have a problem with double vision at times, I can't walk strait and I'll fell sick too. It might last as long as a few hours. After my vision is normal I feel fine. I believe, and my neuro does too, it's med related. It only happens about once or twice a month but my neuro said if it gets worse he'll figure out what med could be causing it and will take me off of it.

Back
Top Bottom