Syncope episodes...anyone else?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

malfeasant67

Pillar
Reaction score
On Thursday I had another syncope episode at work (basically a temporary loss of consciousness.) I woke up with the school nurse tending to the open wound on the back of my head where I hit a concrete floor. All of the kids in the classroom had disappeared, the poor things...
These "episodes" if you will have only started the last 2-3 years, and they are very intermittent. I am pretty sure I knew when this one was coming, but of course I ignored it. I was trying to finish out the school day. My son had to come pick me up to take me to the local ER. They ran a CT scan to check for injuries to the head and spine, did blood work, checked my blood pressure, etc.
My question is this: has anyone else had experiences like this with these sorts of episodes? I don't drive; I can't. I'm deathly afraid of losing my job over this. It only happens every once in awhile, but enough to worry me. ANY suggestions would be great.
My meds are Vimpat, trileptal, and topomax for seizures.

Hi malfeasant67,

I'm sorry to hear that you had another seizure, I was having the same type of seizures your had when I was on Neurontin the drug made my seizures a lot worse. I later went on vimpat and that helped me a lot. I'm not sure but I think Trileptal may interact with vimpat so it won't work as well you may want to check this out with your pharmacist.
What's helped me the most in cbd (medical marijuana) after my Dr. did a DNA test on me they found I was drug resistant and told me to try the cbd oil and I was amazed at how it worked, later on I started taking 2 Tablespoons of apple cider vinegar with mother a day to lose weight and the vinegar decreased my seizures to the lowest in my life. According to my Dr. the vinegar will get rid of the extra sugar in my body that can trigger seizures. Ask your Dr. to do a DNA test on you to see what meds will be the best for you and also take note of what the weather is like before the seizure happens often a low pressure can bother some people because the air gets heavy and in turn that effects a persons hormones and can sometimes trigger seizures for the person. I wish you the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue

Syncope and seizures are typically very different phenomena and have different causes. Seizures, as you know, are caused by neural misfiring in the brain. Syncope, or fainting, is caused by a sudden drop in blood pressure or heart rate which in turn causes a reduced blood flow to the brain.

You may want to ask your neurologist to explain your condition to you so you can better understand whether something was a syncopal episode or a seizure. Frequent syncope, (eg., If caused by cardiac arrhythmia, for instance) can require medication. Keeping a symptom diary can help you and you neurologist determine whether something was a seizure or syncopal event.

I had syncope attack in hospital seeing doc they did by and oxygen levels there and then my o2 level was way down low pulse fast felt like crap but episode lasted seconds.He felt O2 level these cause god know how we were all breathing same air..
few days before I changed my bedroom with daughter I got up in night thought in my own bedroom so turned wrong way long story short torn meniscus broken thumb

See that's the thing: my doctor is difficult to get in to see, first of all (associated with a college) and second, he keeps piling on the meds. I also live in an area where there are no "local" neuros, only ones in the city which is 45 min away, so even trying to get a second opinion is also difficult. I hate the Vimpat; I honestly don't think it's necessary. I was doing fine on all of the other meds before he even added that stupid one.

Hi malfeasant67,

I will often have to wait 3 months or longer to see my Epileptologist but one thing that has helped me get in sooner is letting my family Dr. know what's going on and they will speak to my Epileptologist and I can either see him or speak with him on the phone or we e-mail each other. You may want to try this and see if it helps. Also ask your family Dr. to refer you to see another Dr. to help you out. I wish you the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue

Syncope and seizures are typically very different phenomena and have different causes. Seizures, as you know, are caused by neural misfiring in the brain. Syncope, or fainting, is caused by a sudden drop in blood pressure or heart rate which in turn causes a reduced blood flow to the brain.

Agreed. I think I use that term a bit too loosely; my episodes look almost exactly like a syncope or a fainting episode. What sets them apart (or "proves" that they are, in fact, a seizure) is the fact that I do get a sort of a warning. This last one I was feeling crappy, I knew something was out of sorts. Prior to it I layed my head down on my desk and thought that I should have told one of my students to get the school nurse and gone to lay down. Period. But did I? Once again, not trusting my gut instinct. sigh.

What other warnings you getting? My husband has high fever and I think this caused syncope? He was having hot and cold spells all day long I failed to take his tem, but I know it was high as he had flu.

Until I get a reply on how to start a new thread, any opinions?

Syncope Or Seizures?
Description of event:
He starts to cough, a short sound.
Goes beet red in a split second.
Face wrinkles up.
Shoulders hunch.
Eyes roll up and to the right.
Tongue sticks out a bit.
Jaws clamp down.
Michael stops breathing and passes out.
(One time recently, for the first time, I saw his eyes track partly back leftward.)
The unconscious period used to last a second (in 2012 approximately) but now lasts for much longer, up to ten or more seconds.
Comes to utterly disoriented. Takes a while to come fully to consciousness. Feels tired.
Michael Has Fallen and had numerous bruises.
Now he lives on the couch, afraid to go out.
No one has been able to help us. I have only part of several events on video, because the first part happens quickly and I am trying to help Michael, who is passing out in extreme distress.
Additional: sometimes he will also shout, or make some sort of sound.

Until I get a reply on how to start a new thread...
Jake, here's how it works: Select the forum where you you want to start a thread:
https://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/
Most epilepsy-related posts are in the forum labeled "The Kitchen":
https://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f23/
To start a new thread, click on the button that says "new topic". (The button is on the right side, just below the first two subforums "diets" and "recipes"). It should be straightforward from there, but if it isn't just pm me. :)

Michael's symptoms sound like a seizure to me -- possibly absence seizures when they were brief, perhaps now tonic seizures since they last 20 seconds. See http://www.efmny.org/epilepsy-101-know-the-facts/types-and-symptoms/ for a description of different kinds of seizures and seizure symptoms

He should be evaluated by an epileptologist to get properly diagnosed. Keep a seizure/symptom journal: If you can, make a note of everything that happens during an episode, also including the time of day and how long it lasts. Even if you don't have a video, your notes can help an experienced clinician in making a diagnosis.

Back
Top Bottom