Talk about the pursuit of happiness - this year's local Fair

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

lindy

Vitamin Guru
Reaction score
Where I live in Guilford, VT, we have a local two day fair every Labor Day weekend. For years, I never really saw the Fair since my daughter rode in the horse show at the Fair and, as the show mom for the kids at the barn where I used to board, I was too busy with horses and young riders to see anything else. Three years ago, though, I decided that, although my daughter was grown and gone, I still wanted to be a part of the Fair and entered the canned goods/fresh produce/handcrafts competitions. Yesterday, I found out that this was my best year yet! I entered 13 different competitions and placed in 10 of them - 4 blue (first place) ribbons, 4 red (second place) ribbons and 2 yellow (third place) ribbons! The big winners were my red currant jelly, apricot jam, bread and butter pickles with onions and salsa but what I'm proudest of was the second place ribbon I picked up for an rose and beige afghan I made. It was the first time I had entered the handcrafts competitions and to come in second in an area where there were alot of entries made by people who really are much more talented than I am was such a thrill. You know what? Next year, not only am I going to keep entering these competitions but I've decided that I'm going back to the horse show. They started to let adults compete four years ago and, while I had two horses, neither of them was show material (Doodle was too young and Katie was blind). Now they have a green horse division and Dylan could have beaten the one horse entered in that in his sleep! It would be a great first show for him and it certainly would be fun to get back in the show ring. Now I just have to think of a way to get him there.

That sounds like a great time. Congratulations on your successes!

Several years ago I entered into the State Fair, just like you. I have several pieces of hand painted statuary, clothing items, cookies, chocolate chip banana bread and a Vinager pie to die for. It was so much fun. If I had the time, I'd do it all over again. I love walking around looking at the arts and crafts. One statue made judges choice + blue ribbon. The Vinager pie placed third only because it had no meringe topping. (it tastes and looks just like a lemon meringe pie) the judge said it would have made 1st. Picky picky picky. lol

Congrats! I know what fun you had. It makes you feel good when others recognize your inner talents.

go.jpg

Back
Top Bottom