Tegretol and clumsiness

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Rita68

New
Reaction score
Hi there. I'm the snow girl from Australia who introduced herself about six weeks ago.

My neurologist prescribed me Tegretol. I avoided taking it for the first three weeks cause I am still breast feeding plus I have hippy tendencies and was scared about what this drug would do to me especially after reading all the potential side-effects.

Well...after much angst from my mother I started taking them. I live a long way away from her and she is worried about me because I'm a single mother to a little one etc etc.

I started half dose for the first week and have been on a full dose for a week. And it's awful! I'm itchy and I'm so unbelievably clumsy! And lack-lustre. Just can't get motivated to do stuff.

Two days ago I was on the phone to my mum on my iphone while walking along a street and I tripped on a curb and fell and my iphone shattered. I drop stuff all the time. And this morning I was walking down our stairs holding my two year old's hand and I fell down the stairs. We both fell and I can't believe I haven't broken anything. We just both sat there and cried. My toe is purple and swollen and I'm limping but I don't think it's broken.

Life has become so damned hard. I'm not allowed to drive. I keep knockiing things over. I'm sleepy. Itchy. And I'm falling over and hurting myself.

Has anyone else had this response to the drug? The clumsiness? And does it get better? I don't want it to stay like this. I'm hoping it is just my body adjusting or something.

Sigh!

Sorry to hear what you're going through. I"m on a huge dose of tegretol now, more than is recommended for the maximum dose but I've been on it so long that I need that much for any effect.

I"m a bit clumsy but I was on 3 different AEDs before so I was not only clumsy but forgetful, spaced out & mentally slower. I do know that with most AED's the side-effects often subside after a while. I"d say give it a month or 2 if you want to see if they subside.

I've considered not taking them but that would mean having even more seizures than now & being even more messed up from the seizures than I am from the tegretol.

Also, just in case you're not already, Always take your tegretol with food. It might lessen the side-effects but if not it can have a long term effect on your stomach. Also, if you're only taking one dose a day take it before bed.

Meantime, Best wishes & best of luck.

Rita,

I don't take Tegretol. I just wanted to say how sorry I am that you are going through this.

I'm sorry to hear about all the difficulty you are having...

I take Tegretol and do have the clumsiness plus I am forgetful...My job requires me to handle several instruments costing about seventy dollars apeice and I constantly drop them

Sometimes when I stand up I, for a brief moment, lose my balance

My body has adjusted so much that I have to take a rather large dose two times a day...I think the side-effects get better the more consistently I take it

Sorry to hear about your problems. I haven't taken Tegretol so I can't comment but just wanted to offer my support. I hope your side effects ease off. Can you use a cream to soothe your itchy skin or is it more a sensation rather than actual dry, itchy skin?

Can you slow your movements down? I don't know if this helps with the clumsiness but it does help with my headspins. I must learn not to move at a hundred miles an hour.

Hi

Sorry to hear about your reaction to Tegretol, but its a fairly common side effect.....the 'Tegretol rash', I lost all the outer layers of skin as a result of being on it, as the dosage increased my resistance lowered. I would suggested getting your doctor to change your medication.

take care
Anne

Back
Top Bottom