Tell me about November Epilepsy Awareness events

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bernard

Your Host
Administrator
Benefactor
Reaction score
I got the following email:

An epilepsy magazine is wanting my help in an article for their Nov issue. The theme is Epilepsy Awareness Month. Their need is for names of groups providing epilepsy & disability events for others.

Please offer any names, email addresses, events, dates, ministries, businesses, etc, which might help.

Thanks.

If you know of any event/group that deserves publicity, post it and I'll direct the email author to find it here.

We have a gala for Epilepsy Awareness month. I will send you details as soon as I have them.

I am working with the PDGA profesional disc golf association about having a worldwide tournament to raise awareness. No dates have been talked about, but I do have there approval and get you names and email address as well.

matchu

November is Epilepsy Awareness Month

Here are some suggestions from the Epilepsy Foundation of Eastern Pennsylvania of 10 things you can do to make Epilepsy Awareness Month a success:

Host a Talk About it @ Dinner
Attend a conference
Participate in a support group meeting
Volunteer & meet your local Epilepsy Foundation staff
Become a fan of The Epilepsy Foundation on Facebook
Form a team for next year's Summer Stroll
Sponsor a camper
Become an advocate
Help The Epilepsy Foundation remain vital by donating
Talk About It!

P.S. I am offering epilepsy awareness bracelets for a $10 contribution. Checks must be made out to the Epilepsy Foundation of Eastern Pennsylvania. If you are interested, send me a PM.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am working with the PDGA profesional disc golf association about having a worldwide tournament to raise awareness. No dates have been talked about, but I do have there approval and get you names and email address as well.

What a great idea and worthy goal. There is a huge event in Ohio in June, but I think that is Disc football, not golf. Don't know if the two groups are linked. This draws international teams to a little town called Versailles.

Keep working on your goal.

Future events in Ohio listed at epilepsy-ohio.org.

November 7 - Epilepsy Education conference at Riverside Hospital in Columbus.

January 30th - Stroll for epilepsy in Polaris Mall
February 16th - Mardi Gras
July - Mud Volleyball

I have a PPO meeting tonight. I'm planning on bringing it up then. I hope I can convince them to do something at the school. But I think I should to talk to my daughter before I volenteer to speak.

PhylisFeinerJohnson and Chrisner has represented the Epilepsy Foundation of South Eastern Pennsylvania. The title in the Philly newspaper is: Proposed Disabilites Act Expansion Discussed.A great way to start off November Awareness Month, making the newspaper, the link is: http://www.philly.com/philly/business/67880727.html

Here in Los Angeles there is a confrence down town, its called the Brain Storm Summit they have it each year. Its on the 2nd saturday of this month, and there will be a whole bunch of great Epileptologists there doing workshops and giving out all kids of information, its $15 to get in.. and I believe the money goes to raising awareness.

I'm helping the Epilepsy Foundation of Michigan promote their conference being held in my hometown. So far I've gotten it on all the community calender sites. I'm pushing for an article in our local paper. I've emailed ABC, CBS and NBC news, Oprah and Dr. Oz yet to hear from any of them. Our local paper announced that November was Hospice and Home Health care month. I jumped them on that maybe thats why they haven't gotten back to me. Here's the link for the conference for any of you in Michigan

http://epilepsymichigan.org/template.php?pid=186

Bernard,

Here are 2 links that may help you: 2009 Healthy People 2020 Public Meetings -- is an initiative by the Health and Human Services Department to form a framework for the future for all those with chronic conditions. http://www.healthypeople.gov/hp2020/regional/registration.aspx

And the Proposed Disabilities Act Expansion Discussion was held on 10/31/2009 by the Department of Justice and the EEOC to redefine whom and what chronic conditions are considered "disabled" so that they may be protected under the proposed expanded disabilities act. http://www.philly.com/philly/business/67880727.html

I hope this is of help...

FYI - the original post in this thread is from April. It's a bit late now to be providing the article author with information - the magazine is most certainly already published by now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom