The Epilepsy Monster

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

jonzen

New
Reaction score
Hello, this is my first post on the forum.

Yesterday afternoon I invited 6 prominent and interesting Ladies up to my loft for tea. Many for the very first time. Everything was ready. Then, just as the first new friend arrived, I went into a "petit mal" or something akin to that. It was typical in nature to others I have experienced.

I actually sometimes hear the singing of birds! I cannot always understand what is being said by others around me. I cannot speak at all or very well, only if lucky a few words. I cannot read anything, nothing makes sense at all, totally foreign. And then slowly it goes away and I regain some ability to speak and read, but it is often very tentative in feeling.

This happened yesterday and today I feel so embarrassed and kind of sad about it all. I had hoped to help encourage great conversation and suggest topics of exploration within the group in attendance, but of course, I was hardly able to do anything except pour tea! :oops: :shock: :?

I have had a mild cold all week and wonder if any of you have noticed a tendency for more seizure activity when you have a cold or flu? I assume the answer may be yes?

Do you ever hear what sounds rather like birds chirping when you have a petit mal?

Hope to hear from you!

Jonzen :)

I have noticed that Stacy (my wife) tends to be more prone to seizures when she is feverish or ill with a cold/cough. She is also taking 300mg Dilantin with a similar seizure profile to what you have described in your introduction thread.

When your immune system is down, your body is stressed and I guess it lowers the seizure threshold as well. It seems to in Stacy's case anyway.

Last night, Stacy and I were over at a small Halloween/poker party and she had a very small petit mal seizure late in the evening while we were playing a friendly game of poker. I think only one person at the table besides me noticed it happening, and most were surprised when I talked to her through the brief post-ictal period until I knew she was functioning normally again.

Bernard, how wonderful for Stacy that you are there for her! I have lived with this Epilepsy challenge pretty much by myself for most of my life. Often people do not know what to do if I go into a petit mal, and, of course, if the people around me are aggitated, the seizure is usually prolonged or even taken to a more serious level. I have instructed those around me whom I see often...like my personal trainer...in what to do and what not to do when I go into seizure. Today, my first day back to the gym in a week since my chest cold, he was very careful with me, asking me where I was on the seizure scale during repetitions. This helps me quite a bit, just knowing that someone cares enough to work with me. I am sure Stacy must feel so thankful to have you working with her in a partnership.

I greatly appreciate you sharing with me your knowledge of Epilepsy. I hope that by adjusting my diet even further (I am Vegan and do not eat wheat or white rice very often.....try not to eat sugar) that maybe I will gain more control over my seizure activity. I am meeting with a naturopath kinesiologist friend on Wednesday afternoon to go over some possible adjustments to my diet.

Thank you for writing,

Jonzen

No problem. That's what we are here for. :)

Back
Top Bottom