The New Guy

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Mike, welcome to the forum. :hello:

What info do you have on neurofeedback? Did you try it?

:hello: Mike!

Glad to have you here, and
spill the beans on Neurofeedback,
I'm all eyes and Bernard Neurofeedbackseed
enjoys listening to others too!

I'm learning!

Nerofeedback

I really believe that nerofeedback turned my life around! After six months of treatments everything started to change. The seizures became less intence, I say intence because since my (RTL) I would experince postictal phycosis for about 45 minutes after the seizure. That was a nightmare! The treatments continued for almost 1 year and I was seizure free for over 5 years . Nerofeedback has been around since the 1960s developed by N.A.S.A it works and I believe all who have epilepsy should be able to try it.

Awesome! It is so nice to hear from someone else that tried neurofeedback for 5-6 months and had success with it. I share your convictions about everyone should be trying it. I talk about it everywhere I can. :soap:

Stacy (my wife) successfully used neurofeedback to gain 100% seizure control (and medication free!) for 4 years. Unfortunately, pregnancy threw her system out of whack and we are trying to get her back to the Holy Grail again. She just recently started neurofeedback again.

Do you know which neurofeedback system you used (ie. which machine - Neurocare Pro, LENS, Brainmaster, etc.)?

Welcome to the board and congrats on your success with nuerofeedback.
I use homeopathy and the gard diet and am off AEDS 1 month now.
Its wonderful when we can find other solutions than the AEDS.

Riva

O.K. this may sound dumb but what is nuerofeedback? I've read alot about homeopathy and the different diets. I'm afraid to talk to the doctor about trying any of these because I'm afraid he'll laugh. Do you have to come off of your meds to try any of these? None of the doctors we've ever seen have ever talked about this.
Marian

Hehe... Neurofeedback is a secret. :pfft:

Just kidding. Have a look here:

EEG Neurofeedback info from the alternative treatments chart

or at the links in my signature. And don't worry if your neuro laughs. He probably knows less about neurofeedback than you will after reading what's available on the internet.

Many of the alternative treatments listed in my chart can be tried as adjunctive therapies (ie. in conjunction with meds).

BTW, most MDs who studied and practice western medicine are going to laugh at the idea of homeopathy. It's an entirely different approach to healing than what they are taught.

Can I have my son try some of these while he's on his meds? Do I have to talk to his Doctor first before trying any of them?
Marian

It's always a good idea to discuss your health care with your doctor. Many of the treatments/therapies listed in the chart can be done in conjunction with existing medication therapies.

It all depends on how proactive you want to be with your (son's) health. Definitely do your research first and then talk to the doctor about what you want to do. Sometimes doctors agree and sometimes they don't (or feel threatened if the patient doesn't just do exactly what they tell them to do), but if they can't give you a good reason why not to try your ideas they should be supportive (even if they don't think it will make a difference). Ultimately, it's your decision (and responsibility).

Its very cool that somone else can testify to the fact that nerofeedback really works without causing other problems. I used the L.E.Ns system which meens Low Energy Nerofeedbacksystem and my offset was +15.

Ah! That's great. I was reading in The Healing Power of Neurofeedback: The Revolutionary LENS Technique for Restoring Optimal Brain Function that, because the LENS system does not require patient participation, it is well suited to double blind placebo studies whereas classical EEG neurofeedback is not (because it requires active participation to train the brain). Hopefully some researchers will get funding to conduct a large scale rigorous study and prove efficacy that will get the attention of the mainstream neurology practitioners.

Stacy used the NeuroCare Pro the first time (10+ years ago). We almost quit the treatment ~3.5 months into it because we werent' seeing any results. We stuck with it though and at about 5-6 months it was like someone had flipped a switch. She wasn't having daily absence seizures any more.

She started having tonic clonic/grand mal seizures again after delivering our first child and her seizure pattern has been a rollercoaster ever since. It's changed frequently in both frequency and the types of seizures she experienced.

She did end up trying LENS neurofeedback for a few weeks, but the trained/certified technician who was operating the system quit the practice to pursue a Master's degree. We saw before and after brain maps for the time that she was using the LENS and the map images showed dramatic improvement, but we didn't notice a large difference in the seizures. We can only wonder if the seizures would have stopped if she had been able to continue the treatments.

She is again trying neurofeedback. I think she is using a Brainmaster system this time (at least for now). Dr. White has 4-5 systems at her center.

The book that Bernard had posted is
the book I am reading now - if everyone
here would let me READ!

:mad:

Every time I pick up that book to read, I
get "bothered"!

:(

It's a really interesting book, I read a few
chapters but due to my memory I forget
what I've read, but my son went off with
my markers and can't remember where he
put them... I have to save up my money
to buy some so I can highlight the things
of importance so I can start all over again
and read it from the beginning.

It is worth the money and it's not expensive
book either!

The Book

The book is realy cool and tells the truth about epilepsy. I pray that it can help others to become seizure free,amen.

Nerofeedback

Im really Jazzed that the truth about nerofeedback is out there for people like me and you to take advantage of. If you can find a center that offers the L.E.Ns being the treatment I found to be the most successfull for my epilepsy(R.T.L medically refractory). The L.E.Ns along with my AEDs control my seizures and that alone is reason enough to try it. Seizure Freedom is really a blessing, because it makes everything else so much less stressfull. Stress is seizure trigger!:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom