Transient amnesia can be a form of epilepsy

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I am a 65-year-old man who has had Transient Epileptic Amnesia (TEA) since June 2009. Since then, I have suffered 29 documented seizures. Seizure symptoms are loss of short term memory upon awakening in the morning. With the help of calendars, daily do-to lists and conversation with my wife, the memories gradually return over 1-3 hours. However, I have suffered biographical memory losses, meaning I do not remember random places and events from my life.

My neurologist has had only one other Transient Epileptic Amnesia patient in 18 years of practice.

I am currently treated with gabapentine and oxcarbazepine, by that may change in the near future, because my seizures are coming more often.

Do not confuse Transient Epileptic Amnesia with Transient Global Amnesia. They are entirely different.

- GR630-1969
Hi! I hope you still check the site. I had a fall and was diagnosed with a traumatic brain injury that has changed me in so many ways. A few weeks after the fall, I started having episodes where I couldn't remember what had happened. Thankfully, these happened with a friend and he filled in the missing details of the evening. He said I was conversing and functioning normally. I could talk, walk, and even bowl during these episodes. My doctor wants to diagnose these seizures as temporal lobe epilepsy, but transient epileptic amnesia fits the symptoms. Do you have any advice? I will return to work in 3 weeks and feel very unsure of myself and scared. Thanks for anything you can share.

Vina

Back
Top Bottom